The Saint Joseph’s Hawks (9-12, 4-5 A10) will try to snap a seven-game road losing streak when they clash against the La Salle Explorers (9-13, 3-6 A10) at Tom Gola Arena. Action gets underway at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Saint Joseph’s Hawks vs. La Salle Explorers ATS Preview
In the Hawks last matchup, they lost a tough one against the Saint Louis Billikens, 60-59. With 21 points on 7-for-13 shooting, Taylor Funk was the top scorer from either team. Saint Louis held the Hawks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.3 (below their season average of 23.6). Saint Joseph’s, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.240 (above their season average of 0.220).
The Explorers are trying to rebound after their 84-65 loss to the Davidson Wildcats in their last game. B.J. Johnson led La Salle in scoring with 20 points on 7-for-11 shooting. Davidson held the Explorers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.9 (below their season average of 26.0). La Salle, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of making free throws (13-14; 92.9 percent).
La Salle should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. La Salle ranks 51st in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.7 percent), while Saint Joseph’s forces the 95th-fewest turnovers (17.9 percent). Additionally, put-back points could be few and far between for the Hawks. They rank 322nd in the NCAA in offensive rebounding percentage at 23.2 percent, while the Explorers are 51st-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 74.7 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Explorers won the last matchup 83-68. La Salle was lights out from beyond the arc (12-29; 41.4 percent). Saint Joseph’s, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (14.3 vs. 19.5).
Saint Joseph’s Hawks at La Salle Explorers Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – La Salle, ATS Winner – La Salle, O/U – Under
- La Salle ranks 57th in three pointers allowed per game (19.9) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 268th (27.4).
- The Explorers rank 163rd in rebounds allowed per game (35.4) while the Hawks rank 283rd (40.6).
- Saint Joseph’s ranks fifth in steals allowed per game (4.2) while La Salle ranks 104th (6.2).
- The Explorers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.0, up from 1.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 66.2 points per game (6.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.6 points per game (11.3 below their season average).