The Saint Joseph’s Hawks (9-13, 4-6 A10) can end an eight-game road losing streak when they take on the Davidson Wildcats (12-9, 7-3 A10) at Belk Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 145 points with Davidson opening as a 10.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018.
Saint Joseph’s Hawks vs. Davidson Wildcats ATS Preview
In the Hawks last matchup, they lost a close one to the La Salle Explorers, 81-78. With 30 points on 9-for-18 shooting, Shavar Newkirk was the top scorer from either team. La Salle had a turnover percentage of 2.6 (better than their season average of 14.8). Saint Joseph’s, meanwhile, held the Explorers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.3 (below their season average of 25.4).
The Wildcats will look to keep it rolling after blowing out the George Washington Colonials in their last game, 87-58. With 23 points on 10-for-16 shooting, Kellan Grady was the games high scorer. Davidson dominated every facet of the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 27.6 (above their season average of 24.2) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.598 (above their season average of 0.567). For those same stats, George Washington was 14.3 and 0.452, respectively.
Davidson should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Davidson ranks seventh in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 14.7 percent), while Saint Joseph’s forces the 66th-fewest turnovers (17.2 percent). Moreover, the Hawks rank 319th in offensive rebounding percentage (23.4 percent), while the Wildcats rank 19th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.5 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Saint Joseph’s games have gone over 55.0 percent of the time, while games including Davidson have gone under 60.0 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wildcats have a substantial advantage. They are 12-9 SU and 11-8-1 ATS, while the Hawks are 9-13 SU and 10-10 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Wildcats won the only contest last season, 75-60. Davidson’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Saint Joseph’s. The Wildcats had a rate of 0.544 while the Hawks posted a mark of 0.369.
Saint Joseph’s Hawks vs. Davidson Wildcats Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Davidson, ATS Winner – Saint Joseph’s, O/U – Under
- The Wildcats rank 42nd in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Hawks rank 147th (3.9).
- Saint Joseph’s is seventh in the nation with 4.4 steals allowed per game while Davidson is 29th with 5.0 steals allowed per game.
- Saint Joseph’s is 5-8 ATS on the road with 9 overs and 4 unders.
- Davidson is 4-3 ATS at home with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Davidson averages 28.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 11th in the NCAA. Saint Joseph’s ranks 283rd in three pointers allowed per game (27.8).
- The Wildcats rank 32nd in rebounds allowed per game (31.8) while the Hawks rank 280th (40.4).
- Davidson ranks 21st in assists per game (17.1) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 225th in assists allowed per game (15.1).
- Davidson is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Saint Joseph’s is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Wildcats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.8, up from 9.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 65.6 points per game (7.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.8 points per game (8.4 below their season average).