The Providence Friars (8-4) will be at home in Dunkin Donuts Center when they meet the Sacred Heart Pioneers (5-7). Tip-off is set for 6:30 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Sacred Heart Pioneers at Providence Friars ATS Preview
The Pioneers lost a close one to the Binghamton Bearcats in their last outing, 51-48. Sacred Heart’s Sean Hoehn had a solid game, leading the team in scoring with 11 points on 3-for-14 shooting. Binghamton held the Pioneers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.360 (below their season average of 0.467). Sacred Heart, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.123 vs. 0.071).
In the Friars last matchup, they were topped by the Houston Cougars, 70-59. Rodney Bullock was the top scorer from either team with 24 points on 10-for-23 shooting. Houston’s offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over Providence. The Cougars had a rate of 29.7 (below their season average of 36.3), while the Friars posted a mark of 22.5 (below their season average of 31.7).
Second-chance opportunities could be few and far between for Providence in this matchup. The Friars currently rank 145th in offensive rebounding percentage (30.9 percent), while Sacred Heart ranks 18th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.4 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games involving Sacred Heart have finished under 100.0 percent of the time, while 70.0 percent of Providence games have gone over. The Friars come into this game with a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 8-4 SU and 2-8 ATS, while the Pioneers are 5-7 SU and 0-3 ATS.
Bullock has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Providence, averaging 16.2 points, 6.6 rebounds, 1.8 steals and 1.6 blocks per game.
Sacred Heart Pioneers at Providence Friars ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Providence, ATS Winner – Providence, O/U – Over
- The Pioneers rank 222nd in three pointers attempted per game (19.3) while the Friars rank 260th (17.1).
- Providence ranks 36th in assists allowed per game (11.1) while Sacred Heart ranks 61st (11.8).
- Sacred Heart ranks 38th in rebounds per game (40.0) while Providence ranks 154th in rebounds allowed per game (35.4).
- The Friars rank 76th in steals per game (7.1) while the Pioneers rank 121st in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- Providence averages 3.9 blocks per game, which ranks 79th in the NCAA. Sacred Heart ranks 118th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- The Friars have been outscored by an average of 4.0 points in their last five games. For the season, Providence has defeated opponents by an average of 4.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Pioneers have scored an average of 63.2 points per game (2.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.0 points per game (0.9 below their season average).