The Portland State Vikings (19-12, 9-9 BigSky) and the Sacramento State Hornets (7-24, 4-14 BigSky) go head-to-head in the Big Sky Conference Tourney at Reno Events Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 155.5 points with Portland State opening as a 6.5-point favorite. Action starts at 11:05 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 6, 2018.
Sacramento State Hornets vs. Portland State Vikings Odds Preview
In the Hornets last matchup, they beat the Northern Colorado Bears, 88-77. With 20 points, eight assists and five rebounds, Jordan Tolbert played well for Sacramento State. Sacramento State played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid turnover percentage of 9.8 (better than their season average of 16.1) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.554 (above their season average of 0.499). For those same stats, Northern Colorado was 14.8 and 0.483, respectively.
The Vikings hope to maintain momentum after beating the North Dakota Fighting Hawks in their last contest, 97-90. Portland State’s Brandon Hollins was a key piece with 18 points and 13 rebounds. Portland State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 17.8 (worse than their season average of 13.6) and a free throw rate of 0.300 (above their season average of 0.215). For those same stats, North Dakota put up marks of 20.0 and 0.269, respectively.
The high-powered offense of Portland State will square off against the porous defense of Sacramento State. The Vikings rank 55th in offensive efficiency, while the Hornets are 301st in defensive efficiency. The Vikings figure to have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Games including these teams tend to go over the O/U total. Sacramento State games have finished over 55.2 percent of the time, while Portland State games have finished over 60.7 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Vikings have a clear advantage. They are 19-12 SU and 16-12 ATS, while the Hornets are 7-24 SU and 12-16-1 ATS.
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Hornets winning both. In the most recent contest, Tolbert scored a game-high 26 points and the Hornets, who were 11.5-point underdogs, beat the Vikings 71-61. The two teams combined to put up 132 points, which was 26 points below the projected point total of 158 points. Sacramento State did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (22-31; 71.0 percent). Portland State, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.1 vs. 24.1).
Sacramento State Hornets vs. Portland State Vikings Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Portland State, ATS Winner – Portland State, O/U – Over
- The Vikings rank 16th in assists per game (16.8) while the Hornets rank 176th (13.1).
- Sacramento State ranks 115th in blocks per game (3.4) while Portland State ranks 179th in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- Portland State ranks 25th in three pointers attempted per game (26.6) while Sacramento State ranks 274th (17.7).
- The Vikings rank 37th in rebounds per game (38.5) while the Hornets rank 271st (32.0).
- Portland State ranks second in steals per game (9.9) while Sacramento State ranks 194th (5.3).
- Portland State is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Sacramento State is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Vikings average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.0, down from 6.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 72.2 points per game (4.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.0 points per game (3.2 above their season average).