The Minnesota Timberwolves (34-24) will try to continue a 12-game home winning streak when they square off against the Sacramento Kings (17-37) at Target Center. Minnesota is a 13-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 213 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 11, 2018, and it can be seen on NBC Sports – California.
Sacramento Kings vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Free Preview
The last time the Kings played, they lost big to the Portland Trail Blazers, 118-100. Sacramento’s Willie Cauley-Stein had a good performance, leading the team in scoring with 19 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Portland made 15 of their 35 three pointers (42.9 percent). Sacramento, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (25.0 vs. 22.5).
The Timberwolves are hoping for a better outcome after their 114-113 loss to the Chicago Bulls in their last outing. Jimmy Butler was the games leading scorer with 38 points on 11-for-26 shooting. Chicago had a better turnover percentage (10.3 vs. 11.6). Minnesota, on the other hand, held the Bulls to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.5 (below their season average of 19.9).
Minnesota could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their productive offense faces off against one of the worst defenses in the NBA. The Timberwolves rank third in offensive efficiency, while Sacramento ranks 29th in defensive efficiency.
Of Sacramento’s 54 games, 28 have finished over the projected point total, while 30 of Minnesota’s 58 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Timberwolves have a sizable advantage. They are 34-24 SU and 28-27-3 ATS, while the Kings are 17-37 SU and 22-29-3 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Kings, it’s been Zach Randolph, who has averaged 15.6 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.4 steals, while the Timberwolves have gotten solid contributions from Butler (28.4 points, 5.8 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 1.2 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 215 points, which was over the projected point total of 201.5. The Timberwolves won 119-96, covering as 12-point favorites. The Timberwolves played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.207 and a great turnover percentage of 9.0. The Kings had marks of 0.115 and 13.2, respectively, for those same stats. Karl-Anthony Towns put up a double-double in the victory with 30 points and 14 rebounds.
Sacramento Kings vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Kings, O/U – Over
- The Timberwolves rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.3) while the Kings rank 20th (43.8).
- Minnesota ranks 20th in three pointers allowed per game (29.7) while Sacramento ranks 29th (31.6).
- Minnesota ranks fifth in points in the paint per game (48.2) while Sacramento ranks 18th (43.1).
- On the road, Sacramento is 12-14-3 ATS with 14 overs, 14 unders and 1 push.
- Minnesota is 15-12-1 ATS at home with 14 overs, 13 unders and 1 push.
- Sacramento is 11-4 when they allow less than 100 points, while Minnesota is 16-4.
- When reaching 100 points, the Timberwolves are 32-15 and the Kings are 12-13.
- The Timberwolves rank 13th in assists per game (22.8) while the Kings rank 25th (21.0).
- Minnesota ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.3) while Sacramento ranks 20th (8.1).
- The Timberwolves rank third in points off turnovers per game (18.5) while the Kings rank 22nd (15.5).
- The Timberwolves rank 22nd in blocks per game (4.2) while the Kings rank 25th (4.0).
- Minnesota ranks third in second chance points per game (14.4) while Sacramento ranks 19th (11.7).
- Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Sacramento is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Timberwolves average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.4, up from 3.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Kings have scored an average of 104.2 points per game (5.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.8 points per game (2.1 above their season average).