The No. 13 Purdue Boilermakers (13-2, 2-0 Big 10) will try to continue their nine-game winning streak against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (10-5, 0-2 Big 10) at Mackey Arena. Purdue is a 20-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 140.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights at Purdue Boilermakers ATS Preview
The Scarlet Knights lost a tough one against the Hartford Hawks in their last outing, 60-58. Corey Sanders put together a solid performance for Rutgers, leading both teams in scoring with 17 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Hartford held the Scarlet Knights to an effective field goal percentage of 0.397 (below their season average of 0.457). Rutgers, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 8.1 (better than their season average of 13.7).
In the Boilermakers last game, they blew out the Lipscomb Bisons, 98-66. With 23 points on 7-for-15 shooting, Vincent Edwards led Purdue in scoring. Purdue dominated every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 41.7 (above their season average of 29.6) and a free throw rate of 0.239 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Lipscomb put up marks of 19.0 and 0.129, respectively.
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the high-powered offense of Purdue takes on the stingy defense of Rutgers. The Boilermakers rank eighth in offensive efficiency, while the Scarlet Knights are fourth in defensive efficiency. Additionally, the Scarlet Knights, who rank 260th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.214), will go head-to-head against the Boilermakers, who rank eighth in opponents FTA rate (0.156).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games including Rutgers have gone under 57.1 percent of the time, while Purdue games have gone over 57.1 percent of the time. The Boilermakers hold a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-2 SU and 10-4 ATS, while the Scarlet Knights are 10-5 SU and 5-1-1 ATS.
Sanders has really been playing well over the last five games for Rutgers, averaging 15.8 points and 2.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Boilermakers won the only contest played against each other last season, 74-55. The Boilermakers played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.131 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 38.7. The Scarlet Knights were 0.016 and 21.4, respectively, for those same stats.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights at Purdue Boilermakers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Purdue, ATS Winner – Purdue, O/U – Over
- The Boilermakers average 38.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 70th in the nation. The Scarlet Knights rank 190th in rebounds allowed per game (37.1).
- Rutgers ranks 37th in steals per game (7.9) while Purdue ranks 92nd (6.7).
- On the road, Rutgers is 0-1 ATS with 1 over and 0 unders.
- At home, Purdue is 6-2 ATS with 4 overs, 3 unders and 1 push.
- Purdue ranks 17th in assists per game (18.2) while Rutgers ranks 217th (11.7).
- The Boilermakers rank 109th in three pointers attempted per game (23.2) while the Scarlet Knights rank 262nd (16.0).
- Purdue ranks eighth in blocks per game (6.3) while Rutgers ranks 137th in blocks allowed per game (4.4).
- Purdue is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Rutgers is 2-0 ATS with 1 over and 1 under.
- The Boilermakers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 30.2, up from 23.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Scarlet Knights have scored an average of 73.8 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 63.4 points per game (3.9 above their season average).