A defensive struggle should be expected when the No. 23 Michigan Wolverines (16-5, 5-3 Big 10) and the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (12-8, 2-5 Big 10) face off at Crisler Center. Michigan opened as a 12-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 124.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 21, 2018.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights at Michigan Wolverines Betting Preview
In the Scarlet Knights last matchup, they were victorious over the Iowa Hawkeyes, 80-64. Corey Sanders led Rutgers in scoring with 18 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Rutgers played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.278 (above their season average of 0.202) and a turnover percentage of 14.9 (worse than their season average of 13.0). Iowa was 0.131 and 20.6, respectively, for those same stats.
The Wolverines are trying to rebound after their 72-52 loss to the Nebraska Cornhuskers in their last contest. Charles Matthews led Michigan in scoring with 15 points on 6-for-10 shooting. Nebraska had a free throw rate of 0.319 (above their season average of 0.267). Michigan, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.9 (above their season average of 27.1).
The game should be a matchup of strength against strength as the prolific offense of Michigan takes on the elite defense of Rutgers. The Wolverines rank 48th in offensive efficiency, while the Scarlet Knights are seventh in defensive efficiency. Also, the Scarlet Knights, who rank 47th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.4 percent), will go head-to-head against the Wolverines, who rank 32nd in defensive rebounding percentage (75.4 percent).
Games including these teams tend to finish under the projected point total. Rutgers games have gone under 58.3 percent of the time, while Michigan games have gone under 60.0 percent of the time. The Wolverines come into this game with a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 16-5 SU and 11-9 ATS, while the Scarlet Knights are 12-8 SU and 8-3-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Wolverines won the sole contest last season, 68-64. The Wolverines played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.259 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3. For those same stats, the Scarlet Knights were 0.169 and 24.3, respectively.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights vs. Michigan Wolverines ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan, ATS Winner – Rutgers, O/U – Under
- The Scarlet Knights rank 30th in blocks per game (5.0) while the Wolverines rank 110th (3.4).
- Rutgers ranks 41st in steals per game (7.5) while Michigan ranks 94th (6.6).
- On the road, Rutgers is 1-2 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under.
- Michigan is 5-5 ATS at home with 7 unders and 3 overs.
- Rutgers ranks sixth in rebounds per game (41.3) while Michigan ranks 234th (33.5).
- The Wolverines rank 57th in three pointers attempted per game (25.0) while the Scarlet Knights rank 273rd (15.7).
- Michigan ranks 71st in assists per game (15.2) while Rutgers ranks 229th (11.5).
- Michigan is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Rutgers is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Wolverines have scored an equal number of points as their opponents. For the season, Michigan has defeated opponents by an average of 11.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Scarlet Knights have scored an average of 62.6 points per game (6.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.0 points per game (7.8 above their season average).