An 11-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the No. 4 Michigan State Spartans (15-2, 3-1 Big 10) when they clash with the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (11-6, 1-3 Big 10) at Jack Breslin Student Events Center. Michigan State opened as a 21-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 134 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 10, 2018.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights at Michigan State Spartans Odds Preview
The Scarlet Knights defeated the Wisconsin Badgers in their last outing, 64-60. Corey Sanders was the games leading scorer with 23 points on 10-for-19 shooting. Rutgers 8.9 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over Wisconsin, who had a rate of 20.7. The Scarlet Knights mark was better than their season average of 13.4, while the Badgers was above their season average of 15.3.
The last time the Spartans played, they were defeated by the Ohio State Buckeyes, 80-64. With 17 points and seven rebounds, Michigan State’s Miles Bridges had a good performance. Ohio State had a turnover percentage of 8.3 (better than their season average of 16.3). Michigan State, meanwhile, held the Buckeyes to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.2 (below their season average of 30.2).
This showdown pits one of the nations top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Michigan State currently ranks fourth in offensive efficiency and Rutgers is sixth in defensive efficiency. The Scarlet Knights should have an advantage in terms of ball security. They rank 22nd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.1 percent). Conversely, the Spartans force the 67th-fewest turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 17.3 percent).
Of Rutgers 9 games that accepted bets, six have finished under the projected point total, while 8 of Michigan State’s 15 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Spartans have a clear advantage. They are 15-2 SU and 11-6 ATS, while the Scarlet Knights are 11-6 SU and 6-2-1 ATS.
Bridges has been superb over the last five games for Michigan State, averaging 20.4 points, 10.0 rebounds and 5.2 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 114 points, well under the projected point total of 136.5. The Spartans won 62-52, but were unable to cover as 14.5-point favorites. Michigan State had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.456 vs. 0.288). Rutgers, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (11.9 vs. 19.0). In the victory, Bridges led all scorers with 21 points.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights vs. Michigan State Spartans Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Rutgers, O/U – Under
- The Spartans average 8.0 blocks per game, which ranks first in the NCAA. The Scarlet Knights rank 127th in blocks allowed per game (4.4).
- Michigan State ranks 137th in three pointers attempted per game (21.9) while Rutgers ranks 256th (15.4).
- Rutgers is 0-2 ATS on the road with 1 over and 1 under.
- At home, Michigan State is 8-2 ATS with 6 overs and 2 unders.
- Michigan State ranks first in assists per game (21.8) while Rutgers ranks 220th (11.4).
- The Spartans average 43.4 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the NCAA. The Scarlet Knights rank 189th in rebounds allowed per game (37.2).
- Rutgers ranks 37th in steals per game (7.8) while Michigan State ranks 171st (4.8).
- Michigan State is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Rutgers is 2-1 ATS with 3 unders.
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 32.4, up from 24.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Scarlet Knights have scored an average of 63.4 points per game (6.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.4 points per game (7.5 above their season average).