The Rutgers Scarlet Knights (12-11, 2-8 Big 10) will try to snap a five-game road losing streak when they square off with the Illinois Fighting Illini (11-11, 1-8 Big 10) at State Farm Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 133.5 points with Illinois set as a 4.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 30, 2018.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights at Illinois Fighting Illini Betting Preview
The last time the Scarlet Knights played, they fell to the Penn State Nittany Lions, 60-43. With 12 points on 5-for-12 shooting, Issa Thiam led Rutgers in scoring. Penn State held the Scarlet Knights to an offensive rebounding percentage of 5.7 (below their season average of 34.3). Rutgers, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (7-9; 77.8 percent).
The Fighting Illini will look to keep it rolling after just getting past the Indiana Hoosiers in their last game, 73-71. Illinois Leron Black played well, finishing with 19 points and six rebounds. The Fighting Illini forced 18 turnovers and had a free throw rate of 0.460 (above their season average of 0.240).
It will be a matchup of conflicting paces as the up-and-down Fighting Illini (ranked 60th in the nation in possessions per game) will look to push the slower-paced Scarlet Knights (263rd in possessions per game). Moreover, the Scarlet Knights rank 10th in opponents effective field goal percentage (0.448), while the Fighting Illini rank 264th in effective field goal percentage (0.492).
Both of these teams have a tendency to finish under the projected point total. Rutgers games have gone under 66.7 percent of the time, while games including Illinois have finished under 61.1 percent of the time. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Scarlet Knights are 12-11 SU and 8-6-1 ATS, while the Fighting Illini are 11-11 SU and 8-10 ATS.
Trent Frazier has really been playing well over the last five games for Illinois, averaging 15.6 points, 3.4 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Scarlet Knights won the only contest last season, 62-59. Converting at the free throw line was one of Rutgers biggest strengths. They were 11-13 (84.6 percent), while the Fighting Illini were just 9-13 (69.2 percent).
Rutgers Scarlet Knights vs. Illinois Fighting Illini ATS Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Illinois, ATS Winner – Rutgers, O/U – Under
- The Fighting Illini rank 135th in assists per game (13.8) while the Scarlet Knights rank 253rd (10.7).
- Rutgers averages 7.3 steals per game, which ranks 53rd in the NCAA. Illinois ranks 137th in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- Rutgers is 1-4 ATS on the road with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- Illinois is 4-5 ATS at home with 4 overs, 4 unders and 1 push.
- Rutgers ranks 41st in blocks per game (4.6) while Illinois ranks 191st (2.2).
- The Scarlet Knights rank 14th in rebounds per game (40.3) while the Fighting Illini rank 161st (35.4).
- Illinois ranks 168th in three pointers attempted per game (21.4) while Rutgers ranks 286th (15.3).
- Illinois is 1-4 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Rutgers is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Fighting Illini have been outscored by an average of 8.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Illinois has defeated opponents by an average of 4.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Scarlet Knights have scored an average of 54.0 points per game (12.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.8 points per game (0.8 above their season average).