Expect a high-scoring game when the Niagara Purple Eagles (7-7, 0-1 MAAC) and the Rider Broncs (7-6, 0-1 MAAC) square off at Gallagher Center. Rider is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 170.5 points. Action gets underway at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017.
Rider Broncs at Niagara Purple Eagles Betting Preview
In the Broncs last matchup, they lost a tough one against the Canisius Golden Griffins, 77-76. Rider’s Frederick Scott put together a solid performance, leading the team in scoring with 19 points on 6-for-11 shooting. Canisius had a better effective field goal percentage (0.516 vs. 0.492). Rider, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.305 (above their season average of 0.284).
The Purple Eagles are trying to rebound after their 98-93 loss to the Iona Gaels in their last contest. With 16 points and 15 rebounds, Niagara’s Marvin Prochet had a solid performance. Iona did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (26-32; 81.3 percent). Niagara, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (11.2 vs. 13.6).
There should be plenty of transition offense in this contest that features a pair of the NCAA’s more up-tempo teams. Niagara currently ranks 30th in possessions per game (75.1) and Rider is 35th (74.6). Ball protection should be an advantage for the Broncs. They rank 49th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.8 percent), while the Purple Eagles force the 50th-fewest turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 17.0 percent).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go over the projected point total. Rider games have gone over 77.8 percent of the time, while 90.0 percent of games involving Niagara have gone over. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (7-6 for Rider; 7-7 for Niagara), but the Broncs hold a slight advantage against the spread (ATS). Rider is 5-3-1 ATS, while the Purple Eagles are 5-5.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent contest, the Purple Eagles won 80-67. Getting to the free throw line was one of Niagara’s largest advantages. They made 31 trips to the line, while Rider went 23 times.
Rider Broncs at Niagara Purple Eagles Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rider, ATS Winner – Rider, O/U – Over
- The Broncs rank 133rd in assists per game (13.9) while the Purple Eagles rank 222nd in assists allowed per game (17.1).
- Niagara allows the seventh-fewest steals per game (4.2) while Rider ranks 47th (5.4).
- On the road, Rider is 5-2-1 ATS with 6 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Niagara is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- Rider ranks 47th in rebounds per game (39.6) while Niagara ranks 240th in rebounds allowed per game (39.8).
- The Purple Eagles average 24.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 70th in the nation. The Broncs rank 195th in three pointers allowed per game (24.0).
- Niagara ranks 69th in blocks per game (4.1) while Rider ranks 172nd in blocks allowed per game (6.2).
- Niagara is 1-2 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Rider is 1-1-1 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under.
- The Purple Eagles average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.6, down from 3.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Broncs have scored an average of 78.8 points per game (2.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 79.4 points per game (0.2 above their season average).