MAAC foes will clash when the Manhattan Jaspers (5-7, 2-1 MAAC) take on the Rider Broncs (9-6, 2-1 MAAC) at Draddy Gymnasium. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 150.5 points with Rider set as a 2.5-point favorite. Action begins at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018.
Rider Broncs at Manhattan Jaspers Betting Preview
The last time the Broncs played, they dismantled the Fairfield Stags, 96-77. Frederick Scott was the games high scorer with 25 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Rider dominated every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.1 (better than their season average of 14.1) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.594 (above their season average of 0.507). Fairfield was 21.1 and 0.484, respectively, for those same stats.
The Jaspers are hoping for a better outcome after their 77-66 loss to the Monmouth Hawks in their last matchup. Rich Williams was the games high scorer with 20 points on 7-for-10 shooting. Monmouth did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (21-30; 70.0 percent). Manhattan, meanwhile, held the Hawks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 (below the 33.0 mark opponents have averaged against Manhattan this season).
Ball protection could play an integral role in this battle. Rider commits the 39th-fewest miscues in the NCAA (turnover percentage of 16.6 percent), while the pesky defense of Manhattan forces the 54th-most (opponents turnover percentage of 22.3 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Rider games have finished over 81.8 percent of the time, while 69.2 percent of games involving Manhattan have finished under. The Broncs hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (9-6 vs. 5-7), but the Jaspers have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (8-5 vs. 7-3-1).
Scott has really been playing well over the last five games for Rider, averaging 15.0 points and 7.4 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Broncs won two out of three matchups played against each other last season. In the last contest, Rider won 69-68. Rider had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.0 vs. 13.3). Manhattan, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (11.3 vs. 21.7).
Rider Broncs vs. Manhattan Jaspers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rider, ATS Winner – Rider, O/U – Under
- The Jaspers rank 120th in assists per game (14.2) while the Broncs rank 206th in assists allowed per game (15.5).
- Manhattan ranks 203rd in three pointers attempted per game (19.2) while Rider ranks 208th in three pointers allowed per game (24.5).
- Rider is 6-2-1 ATS on the road, while Manhattan is 2-0 ATS at home.
- Of the Broncs 9 road games, they have 7 overs and 2 unders.
- All 2 of the Jaspers home games have gone under.
- Rider ranks 26th in rebounds per game (40.4) while Manhattan ranks 244th (32.7).
- The Jaspers rank ninth in blocks allowed per game (2.1) while the Broncs rank 175th (6.1).
- Rider ranks 49th in steals allowed per game (5.5) while Manhattan ranks 189th (8.7).
- Manhattan is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Rider is 3-0-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Jaspers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.8, up from 3.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Broncs have scored an average of 86.4 points per game (2.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.8 points per game (2.1 below their season average).