MAAC foes will clash when the Fairfield Stags (7-11, 2-5 MAAC) square off with the Rider Broncs (13-7, 6-2 MAAC) at Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 157.5 points with Rider set as a 3-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 23, 2018.
Rider Broncs at Fairfield Stags Odds Preview
The last time the Broncs played, they barely escaped the Marist Red Foxes, 60-57. With 10 points, 11 rebounds and five assists, Anthony Durham played well for Rider. Rider dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.8 (below their season average of 34.4) and a free throw rate of 0.241 (below their season average of 0.252). For those same stats, Marist put up marks of 15.9 and 0.180, respectively.
The Stags come in on a high note after blowing out the Niagara Purple Eagles in their last contest, 104-85. Fairfield rallied around Tyler Nelson, who was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 7-for-20 shooting. Fairfield played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.2 (better than their season average of 17.4) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 (above their season average of 23.7). For those same stats, Niagara put up marks of 17.5 and 15.6, respectively.
The productive offense of Rider (91st in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 109.6) will clash against the mid-tier defense of Fairfield (270th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 106.6). The Broncs should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Games featuring these teams have typically gone over the O/U total. Rider games have finished over 68.8 percent of the time, while 57.1 percent of Fairfield games have gone over. The Broncs come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-7 SU and 10-5-1 ATS, while the Stags are 7-11 SU and 6-8 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 173 points, well over the projected point total of 155. The Broncs won 96-77, covering as 6-point favorites. The Broncs dominated every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.1 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.594. The Stags were 21.1 and 0.484, respectively, for those same stats. Frederick Scott was the games top overall scorer with 25 points.
Rider Broncs vs. Fairfield Stags ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rider, ATS Winner – Rider, O/U – Over
- The Stags average 14.8 assists per game, which ranks 89th in the nation. The Broncs rank 213th in assists allowed per game (15.3).
- Rider ranks 66th in steals per game (7.1) while Fairfield ranks 102nd in steals allowed per game (6.3).
- Rider is 8-3-1 ATS on the road, while Fairfield is 4-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 3 of the Stags 5 home games, while 9 of the Broncs 12 road games have gone over.
- Fairfield ranks 31st in three pointers attempted per game (26.4) while Rider ranks 267th in three pointers allowed per game (26.2).
- The Broncs rank 17th in rebounds per game (40.5) while the Stags rank 210th (34.3).
- Fairfield ranks 39th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Rider ranks 169th (5.3).
- Fairfield is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Rider is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Stags average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.2, up from 3.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Broncs have scored an average of 74.4 points per game (7.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.6 points per game (4.0 below their season average).