The Davidson Wildcats (10-8, 5-2 A10) can continue a five-game home winning streak when they square off with the Richmond Spiders (7-13, 5-3 A10) at Belk Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 140 points with Davidson set as an 11-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018, and it can be seen on NBC Sports Network.
Richmond Spiders at Davidson Wildcats Betting Preview
The last time the Spiders played, they were victorious over the Duquesne Dukes, 77-73. Nick Sherod was the games leading scorer with 28 points on 10-for-16 shooting. Richmond dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.281 (above their season average of 0.201) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.535 (above their season average of 0.508). For those same stats, Duquesne put up marks of 0.092 and 0.434, respectively.
The Wildcats are hoping for a better outcome after their 65-64 loss to the Dayton Flyers in their last outing. Peyton Aldridge was the top scorer from either team with 24 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Dayton did an excellent job of making free throws (9-11; 81.8 percent). Davidson, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.0 (above their season average of 23.5).
The high-octane offense of Davidson will go head-to-head against the bottom-tier defense of Richmond. The Wildcats rank 22nd in offensive efficiency, while the Spiders are 293rd in defensive efficiency. The Wildcats should have the advantage on that end of the court. Furthermore, the Spiders, who rank 333rd in offensive rebounding percentage (22.7 percent), will clash against the Wildcats, who rank 43rd in defensive rebounding percentage (75.0 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring Richmond have finished over 66.7 percent of the time, while 64.7 percent of Davidson games have finished under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wildcats have a significant advantage. They are 10-8 SU and 9-7-1 ATS, while the Spiders are 7-13 SU and 8-10 ATS.
Sherod has been solid over the last five games for Richmond, averaging 12.0 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 127 points, well under the projected point total of 147. The Spiders won 69-58, covering as 6.5-point underdogs. The Spiders dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.447 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.511. For those same stats, the Wildcats were 0.182 and 0.436, respectively. Sherod was a top performer in the victory, with 22 points and nine rebounds.
Richmond Spiders vs. Davidson Wildcats Free Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Davidson, ATS Winner – Richmond, O/U – Under
- The Wildcats rank 33rd in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Spiders rank 111th (3.5).
- Davidson ranks 244th in rebounds per game (32.6) while Richmond ranks 269th (30.5).
- Richmond is 5-5 ATS on the road, while Davidson is 3-2 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 6 of the Spiders 10 road games, while 3 of the Wildcats 5 home games have gone under.
- Richmond ranks 38th in steals per game (7.5) while Davidson ranks 202nd (4.8).
- The Wildcats rank 18th in assists per game (17.4) while the Spiders rank 181st in assists allowed per game (14.4).
- Davidson ranks 11th in three pointers attempted per game (28.8) while Richmond ranks 172nd (21.1).
- Davidson is 5-0 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Richmond is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Wildcats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 18.6, up from 7.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spiders have scored an average of 76.8 points per game (8.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.8 points per game (3.0 below their season average).