The Rice Owls (5-17, 2-7 CUSA) will attempt to snap a nine-game road losing streak when they meet the North Texas Mean Green (12-10, 5-4 CUSA) at The Super Pit. Action starts at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Rice Owls at North Texas Mean Green Odds Preview
The last time the Owls played, they lost a tough one against the Florida Atlantic Owls, 63-62. Connor Cashaw had a good game for Rice, leading the team in scoring with 16 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Florida Atlantic did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (9-11; 81.8 percent). Rice, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 7.4 (better than their season average of 20.2).
The Mean Green hope to maintain momentum after edging the FIU Golden Panthers in their last outing, 69-67. North Texas was lifted by Ryan Woolridge, who led the team in scoring with 21 points on 7-for-10 shooting. North Texas played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.333 (above their season average of 0.229) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.9 (above their season average of 31.5). FIU recorded marks of 0.185 and 34.1, respectively, for those same stats.
North Texas should have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Mean Green currently rank 67th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.479), while Rice is 291st in effective field goal percentage (0.483).
These teams have already met once this season. The Mean Green won 85-78. North Texas had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (45.9 vs. 33.3). Rice, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (14-19; 73.7 percent). Roosevelt Smart was the games leading scorer with 42 points.
Rice Owls at North Texas Mean Green ATS Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Rice, ATS Winner – Rice, O/U – Under
- The Owls rank ninth in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while the Mean Green rank 144th (4.0).
- North Texas ranks 20th in assists allowed per game (10.6) while Rice ranks 245th (16.6).
- The Mean Green rank 47th in three pointers allowed per game (19.6) while the Owls rank 266th (26.7).
- North Texas averages 38.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 60th in the NCAA. Rice ranks 221st in rebounds allowed per game (37.0).
- The Mean Green’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.4, down from 2.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Owls have scored an average of 68.4 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.4 points per game (1.5 below their season average).