The New Mexico Lobos (3-8) will be at home in Dreamstyle Arena when they challenge the Rice Owls (3-8). New Mexico opened as a 12.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 146.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 9:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 19, 2017.
Rice Owls vs. New Mexico Lobos Betting Preview
The last time the Owls played, they lost big to the No. 24 Texas Tech Red Raiders, 73-53. With 21 points on 6-for-11 shooting, Connor Cashaw was the games leading scorer. Texas Tech had a turnover percentage of 11.1 (better than their season average of 16.0). Rice, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.205 vs. 0.111).
The Lobos are hoping for a better outcome after their 89-73 loss to the No. 23 Arizona Wildcats in their last matchup. Dane Kuiper was New Mexico’s high scorer with 24 points on 7-for-10 shooting. Arizona did a great job of making free throws (16-20; 80.0 percent). New Mexico, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 9.3 (better than their season average of 15.9).
Rice could have a tough time creating turnovers. New Mexico ranks 87th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.6 percent), while Rice forces the 214th-most turnovers (18.7 percent). Also, the Owls, who rank eighth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.339), will clash against the Lobos, who rank 318th in opponents FTA rate (0.305).
Games involving these teams tend to go under the O/U total. Rice games have finished under 83.3 percent of the time, while 66.7 percent of New Mexico games have gone under. Both teams have disastrous straight up (SU) records (3-8 for Rice; 3-8 for New Mexico), but the Lobos have the advantage against the spread (ATS). New Mexico is 4-6 ATS, while the Owls are 3-3.
Rice Owls vs. New Mexico Lobos Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – New Mexico, ATS Winner – Rice, O/U – Under
- The Lobos rank 63rd in assists per game (15.7) while the Owls rank 207th in assists allowed per game (16.9).
- Rice ranks 23rd in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while New Mexico ranks 119th (3.8).
- Rice is 2-2 ATS on the road with 3 unders and 1 over.
- New Mexico is 3-2 ATS at home with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- New Mexico averages 31.5 three pointers per game, which ranks fourth in the NCAA. Rice ranks 254th in three pointers allowed per game (27.7).
- The Owls average 39.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 50th in the NCAA. The Lobos rank 245th in rebounds allowed per game (40.8).
- New Mexico ranks 35th in steals per game (8.2) while Rice ranks 185th in steals allowed per game (9.3).
- New Mexico is 2-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Rice is 1-1 ATS with 2 unders.
- The Lobos have been outscored by an average of 6.0 points in their last five games. For the season, New Mexico has defeated opponents by an average of 2.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Owls have scored an average of 64.4 points per game (2.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.6 points per game (0.7 above their season average).