The VCU Rams (14-8, 6-3 A10) look to snap the 13-game winning streak of the No. 22 Rhode Island Rams (18-3, 10-0 A10) when they welcome them to Stuart Siegel Center. Rhode Island opened as a 4-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 151.5 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, February 2, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Rhode Island Rams vs. VCU Rams Free Preview
Rhode Island won a close one over the Massachusetts Minutemen in its last contest, 85-83. With 19 points and 10 assists, Rhode Island’s Jeff Dowtin played well. Rhode Island had a better turnover percentage (11.8 vs. 16.7) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.694 (above their season average of 0.515).
In VCU’s last game, they topped the George Mason Patriots, 84-76. With 25 points on 11-for-13 shooting, Khris Lane was the games leading scorer. VCU had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (52.4 vs. 20.0) and held George Mason to an effective field goal percentage of 0.463 (below the 0.519 mark opponents have averaged against VCU this season).
Games including these teams have a tendency to go over the O/U total. Rhode Island games have gone over 57.9 percent of the time, while VCU games have gone over 55.6 percent of the time. Rhode Island has the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (18-3 vs. 14-8), but both teams are right around the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after Rhode Island won both games last season. In the last matchup, Rhode Island won 70-63. Rhode Island had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.519 vs. 0.343). VCU, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (46.0 vs. 27.3).
Rhode Island Rams at VCU Rams Betting Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Rhode Island, ATS Winner – Rhode Island, O/U – Over
- Rhode Island averages 7.5 steals per game, which ranks 42nd in the nation. VCU ranks 158th in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- VCU is 6-3 ATS at home, while Rhode Island is 4-4-1 ATS on the road.
- Rhode Island has 7 overs and 2 unders in 9 road games.
- In 9 home games, VCU has 6 unders and 3 overs.
- Rhode Island ranks 24th in assists allowed per game (10.8) while VCU ranks 188th (14.4).
- VCU ranks 113th in three pointers attempted per game (23.0) while Rhode Island ranks 266th (17.5).
- VCU ranks 76th in rebounds per game (37.5) while Rhode Island ranks 229th (33.4).
- VCU is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Rhode Island is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- VCU has been outscored by an average of 1.8 points in their last five games. On the season, VCU has defeated opponents by an average of 2.9 points.
- During their last five games, Rhode Island has scored an average of 77.0 points per game (0.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.8 points per game (1.9 below their season average).