The Massachusetts Minutemen (10-12, 3-6 A10) look to put an end to the 12-game winning streak of Rhode Island when they welcome the No. 22 Rams (17-3, 9-0 A10) to William D. Mullins Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 141 points with Rhode Island opening as a 10.5-point favorite. Action starts at 6:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 30, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Rhode Island Rams vs. Massachusetts Minutemen Free Preview
In the Rams last contest, they edged the Duquesne Dukes, 61-58. E.C. Matthews was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Rhode Island’s turnover percentage was their biggest strength over Duquesne. The Rams had a rate of 14.1 (worse than their season average of 13.9), while the Dukes posted a mark of 26.7 (above their season average of 14.6).
The Minutemen are trying to rebound after their 82-69 loss to the Fordham Rams in their last outing. With 14 points, 12 rebounds and five assists, Unique McLean put together a solid game for Massachusetts. Fordham did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (12-14; 85.7 percent). Massachusetts, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8 (above their season average of 28.3).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Massachusetts. Massachusetts ranks 252nd in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.0 percent), while the disruptive defense of Rhode Island forces the sixth-most turnovers in the NCAA (24.5 percent).
Of Rhode Island’s 18 games that accepted bets, 10 have finished over the O/U total, while 10 of Massachusetts 19 games have finished under the O/U total. The Rams hold a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 17-3 SU and 10-6-2 ATS, while the Minutemen are 10-12 SU and 9-10 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 124 points, well under the projected point total of 143. The Rams won 73-51, covering as 13-point favorites. The Rams played a flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.293 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.483. The Minutemen recorded marks of 0.136 and 0.364, respectively, for those same stats. Stanford Robinson recorded a double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds.
Rhode Island Rams vs. Massachusetts Minutemen Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Rhode Island, ATS Winner – Rhode Island, O/U – Over
- The Rams average 3.8 blocks per game, which ranks 82nd in the NCAA. The Minutemen rank 86th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- Rhode Island is 4-3-1 ATS on the road, while Massachusetts is 5-4 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 6 of the Rams 8 road games, while 5 of the Minutemen’s 9 home games have gone over.
- Rhode Island ranks 20th in assists allowed per game (10.5) while Massachusetts ranks 211th (15.3).
- The Rams rank 39th in steals per game (7.7) while the Minutemen rank 201st (5.0).
- Massachusetts ranks 137th in three pointers attempted per game (22.1) while Rhode Island ranks 262nd (17.6).
- Massachusetts is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Rhode Island is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Minutemen’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 13.2, up from 1.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rams have scored an average of 77.4 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 62.8 points per game (3.0 below their season average).