The No. 7 Rhode Island Rams (26-7) go head-to-head with the No. 2 Duke Blue Devils (27-7) in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament at PPG Paints Arena. Action gets underway at 2:40 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 17, 2018.
Rhode Island Rams vs. Duke Blue Devils ATS Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Blue Devils won big over the No. 15 Iona Gaels 89-67, while the Rams beat the No. 10 Oklahoma Sooners 83-78.
The Rams had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 6.5 (better than their season average of 13.4) and held the Sooners to an effective field goal percentage of 0.449 (below their season average of 0.538). Meanwhile, Duke’s offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over Iona. The Blue Devils had a rate of 42.4 (above their season average of 39.1), while the Gaels posted a mark of 28.6. Grayson Allen was a key piece for Duke with 16 points and nine assists. Rhode Island rallied around Cyril Langevine, who recorded 14 points and 10 rebounds.
This showdown pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Duke currently ranks third in offensive efficiency and Rhode Island ranks 47th in defensive efficiency. The Rams should have an advantage in terms of ball protection. They rank 17th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.4 percent), while the Blue Devils force the 71st-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 16.9 percent).
Grayson Allen has been playing at a high level recently for Duke, averaging 16.4 points, 4.2 assists and 2.8 steals over the last five games.
Rhode Island Rams vs. Duke Blue Devils Betting Pick
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Duke, ATS Winner – Duke, O/U – Under
- Rhode Island ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (16.0) while Duke ranks 237th (23.6).
- The Blue Devils rank 14th in blocks per game (5.3) while the Rams rank 115th (3.5).
- Rhode Island averages 7.4 steals per game, which ranks 41st in the nation. Duke ranks 90th in steals allowed per game (5.8).
- The Blue Devils rank third in rebounds per game (41.8) while the Rams rank 192nd (34.6).
- Rhode Island ranks 39th in assists allowed per game (11.4) while Duke ranks 218th (14.4).
- During their last five games, the Blue Devils have scored an average of 76.6 points per game (8.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.8 points per game (1.7 below their season average).
- The Rams average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.8, down from 8.2 for the season.