Both teams look to continue their winning streaks as the No. 5 Purdue Boilermakers (15-2, 4-0 Big 10) square off with the Michigan Wolverines (14-3, 3-1 Big 10) at Crisler Center. The Boilermakers are on an 11-game winning streak, while the Wolverines have won seven games in a row. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 137 points with Purdue opening as a 2-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Purdue Boilermakers vs. Michigan Wolverines Free Preview
In the Boilermakers last outing, they beat the Nebraska Cornhuskers, 74-62. Vincent Edwards led Purdue in scoring with 21 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Purdue dominated every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 34.3 (above their season average of 30.7) and a turnover percentage of 18.8 (worse than their season average of 14.9). Nebraska put up marks of 20.6 and 20.8, respectively, for those same stats.
The Wolverines hope to maintain momentum after topping the Illinois Fighting Illini in their last game, 79-69. Michigan was lifted by Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman, who contributed 13 points. Michigan played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.373 (above their season average of 0.155) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.588 (above their season average of 0.567). Illinois put up marks of 0.214 and 0.509, respectively, for those same stats.
This battle pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Michigan ranks 38th in offensive efficiency and Purdue ranks eighth in defensive efficiency.
Of Purdue’s 16 games that accepted bets, eight have finished over the O/U total, while 9 of Michigan’s 16 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have excellent straight up (SU) records (15-2 for Purdue; 14-3 for Michigan), but the Boilermakers have the edge against the spread (ATS). Purdue is 11-5 ATS, while the Wolverines are 9-7.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Wolverines won both matchups last season. In the last matchup, Michigan won 74-70. The Wolverines played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.300 and a turnover percentage of 15.6. For those same stats, the Boilermakers were 0.098 and 19.3, respectively.
Purdue Boilermakers vs. Michigan Wolverines Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Purdue, ATS Winner – Purdue, O/U – Over
- The Wolverines rank 50th in rebounds allowed per game (32.1) while the Boilermakers rank 77th (32.9).
- Purdue ranks 17th in assists per game (17.8) while Michigan ranks 42nd (16.4).
- Purdue is 4-2 ATS on the road with 4 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- Michigan is 4-4 ATS at home with 5 unders and 3 overs.
- Michigan ranks seventh in three pointers allowed per game (15.8) while Purdue ranks 110th (21.5).
- The Boilermakers rank 10th in blocks per game (6.2) while the Wolverines rank 95th (3.4).
- Michigan is third in the NCAA with 4.3 steals allowed per game while Purdue is 59th with 5.8 steals allowed per game.
- Michigan is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Purdue is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Wolverines average margin of victory in their last five games has been 24.8, up from 15.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Boilermakers have scored an average of 86.6 points per game (0.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 58.8 points per game (4.5 below their season average).