The No. 4 Michigan State Spartans (23-3, 11-2 Big 10) and the No. 3 Purdue Boilermakers (23-3, 12-1 Big 10) clash at Jack Breslin Student Events Center. The Spartans will try to continue their seven-game winning streak. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Purdue Boilermakers vs. Michigan State Spartans Odds Preview
The last time the Boilermakers played, they lost a tough one against the No. 14 Ohio State Buckeyes, 64-63. Purdue’s Carsen Edwards put together a good game, leading both teams in scoring with 28 points on 8-for-13 shooting. Ohio State held the Boilermakers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.4 (below their season average of 29.3). Purdue, on the other hand, did a terrific job of making free throws (15-19; 78.9 percent).
The Spartans hope to keep it rolling after edging the Iowa Hawkeyes in their last contest, 96-93. With 25 points on 8-for-14 shooting, Miles Bridges led Michigan State in scoring. The Spartans made 24 of their 29 free throws (82.8 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.632 (above their season average of 0.589).
This matchup pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Michigan State currently ranks fifth in offensive efficiency and Purdue ranks 11th in defensive efficiency. The Boilermakers should have an edge in terms of ball protection. They rank 29th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.1 percent), while the Spartans force the 21st-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 15.9 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Boilermakers won both games last season. In the most recent matchup, Purdue won 80-63. The Boilermakers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.396 and a turnover percentage of 13.5. For those same stats, the Spartans were 0.068 and 19.1, respectively.
Purdue Boilermakers at Michigan State Spartans Betting Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Michigan State, O/U – Under
- The Boilermakers rank 107th in three pointers attempted per game (23.2) while the Spartans rank 166th in three pointers allowed per game (22.3).
- Purdue averages 5.4 blocks per game, which ranks 15th in the NCAA. Michigan State ranks 33rd in blocks allowed per game (2.6).
- Michigan State ranks sixth in rebounds per game (41.3) while Purdue ranks 133rd (35.8).
- The Boilermakers rank 40th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while the Spartans rank 130th (6.5).
- Purdue ranks eighth in assists per game (17.9) while Michigan State ranks 74th in assists allowed per game (12.3).
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.0, down from 18.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Boilermakers have scored an average of 76.4 points per game (6.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.4 points per game (8.2 above their season average).