The Indiana Hoosiers (12-9, 5-4 Big 10) will try to put an end to the 16-game winning streak of Purdue when they welcome the No. 3 Boilermakers (20-2, 9-0 Big 10) to Assembly Hall. Purdue opened as a 10.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 143 points. Tip-off is set for 3:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018.
Purdue Boilermakers vs. Indiana Hoosiers Betting Preview
In the Boilermakers last game, they beat the No. 23 Michigan Wolverines, 92-88. Vincent Edwards was the top scorer from either team with 30 points on 9-for-11 shooting. Purdue played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.380 (above their season average of 0.256) and a turnover percentage of 14.3 (better than their season average of 14.8). For those same stats, Michigan was 0.086 and 15.1, respectively.
The Hoosiers are trying to rebound after their 73-71 loss to the Illinois Fighting Illini in their last game. Juwan Morgan was the games leading scorer with 28 points on 12-for-14 shooting. Illinois forced the Hoosiers into a turnover percentage of 24.1 (above their season average of 15.5). Indiana, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.625 (above their season average of 0.508).
The offense of Indiana will square off against the elite defense of Purdue. The Hoosiers currently rank 141st in offensive efficiency, while the Boilermakers are seventh in defensive efficiency. The Boilermakers should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Of Purdue’s 21 games with betting action, 10 have finished under the O/U total, while 11 of Indiana’s 21 games have finished under the O/U total. The Boilermakers hold a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 20-2 SU and 14-7 ATS, while the Hoosiers are 12-9 SU and 11-8-2 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Boilermakers won both contests last season. In the last contest, Purdue won 86-75. The Boilermakers played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.538 and a turnover percentage of 13.1. For those same stats, the Hoosiers had marks of 0.213 and 17.0, respectively.
Purdue Boilermakers vs. Indiana Hoosiers Betting Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Purdue, ATS Winner – Purdue, O/U – Under
- The Boilermakers rank 93rd in steals per game (6.6) while the Hoosiers rank 123rd in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- Purdue ranks 95th in rebounds per game (37.0) while Indiana ranks 111th in rebounds allowed per game (34.2).
- On the road, Purdue is 6-3 ATS with 4 overs, 4 unders and 1 push.
- Indiana is 8-4-1 ATS at home with 7 overs and 6 unders.
- Purdue ranks seventh in assists per game (18.5) while Indiana ranks 139th (13.9).
- The Boilermakers rank 11th in blocks per game (6.0) while the Hoosiers rank 125th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Purdue averages 23.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 84th in the nation. Indiana ranks 144th in three pointers allowed per game (22.1).
- Indiana is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Purdue is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Hoosiers have been outscored by an average of 0.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Indiana has defeated opponents by an average of 1.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Boilermakers have scored an average of 81.6 points per game (3.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.6 points per game (0.2 above their season average).