The Providence Friars (18-11, 9-7 Big East) will travel to Cintas Center to take on the No. 3 Xavier Musketeers (25-4, 13-3 Big East) in their home finale. Xavier is a 10-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 155.5 points. Action starts at 6:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 28, 2018./p>
Providence Friars at Xavier Musketeers Free Preview
The Friars were victorious over the Georgetown Hoyas in their last game, 74-69. With 16 points and nine assists, Providence’s Kyron Cartwright had a good game. The Friars had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 5.6 (better than their season average of 15.8) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.524 (above their season average of 0.503)./p>
In the Musketeers’ last game, they defeated the Georgetown Hoyas, 89-77. J.P. Macura led the way for Xavier, putting up 20 points and seven rebounds. Xavier dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 29.6) and a free throw rate of 0.215 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Georgetown had marks of 18.2 and 0.172, respectively./p>
The prolific offense of Xavier will face off against the mid-tier defense of Providence. The Musketeers rank 13th in offensive efficiency, while the Friars are 180th in defensive efficiency. The Musketeers figure to have the advantage on that end of the court. Additionally, the Friars, who rank 59th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.277), will clash against the Musketeers, who rank 25th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.183)./p>
Of Providence’s 27 games that accepted bets, 14 have finished over the O/U total, while 16 of Xavier’s 28 games have finished over the O/U total. The Musketeers come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 25-4 SU and 20-9 ATS, while the Friars are 18-11 SU and 10-17 ATS./p>
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 153 points in that game, which was just under the projected point total of 157.5. The Friars won 81-72, covering as 6-point underdogs. The Friars dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.357 and a turnover percentage of 12.1. The Musketeers put up marks of 0.172 and 17.3, respectively, for those same stats. In the loss, Kerem Kanter had a double-double with 24 points and 12 rebounds./p>
Providence Friars vs. Xavier Musketeers Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Xavier, ATS Winner – Providence, O/U – Over/p>
- The Friars average 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 75th in the nation. The Musketeers rank 167th in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- Providence averages 3.9 blocks per game, which ranks 79th in the NCAA. Xavier ranks 137th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Providence is 5-8 ATS on the road with 8 unders and 5 overs.
- Xavier is 11-6 ATS at home with 10 overs and 6 unders.
- Xavier ranks 30th in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while Providence ranks 185th (35.7).
- The Friars rank 143rd in three pointers allowed per game (21.8) while the Musketeers rank 284th (26.4).
- Xavier ranks 17th in assists per game (16.9) while Providence ranks 123rd (14.1).
- Xavier is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Providence is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Musketeers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.8, down from 9.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Friars have scored an average of 68.8 points per game (5.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.6 points per game (2.7 above their season average).