Big East foes will battle when the Georgetown Hoyas (15-11, 5-10 Big East) go head-to-head with the Providence Friars (17-11, 8-7 Big East) at Capital One Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Providence Friars vs. Georgetown Hoyas Free Preview
In the Friars last outing, they fell to the Seton Hall Pirates, 89-77. Providence’s Kyron Cartwright had a solid game, leading both teams in scoring with 25 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Seton Hall had a free throw rate of 0.453 (above their season average of 0.227). Providence, on the other hand, held the Pirates to an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.1 (below their season average of 35.0).
The Hoyas are hoping for a better outcome after their 89-77 loss to the No. 4 Xavier Musketeers in their last outing. With 15 points and 11 rebounds, Georgetown’s Jessie Govan put together a solid game. Xavier held the Hoyas to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.2 (below their season average of 32.3). Georgetown, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.578 (above their season average of 0.520).
Opposite paces will be on display in this matchup. Georgetown prefers a fast-paced style of play (34th in possessions per game), while Providence likes to grind-it-out (156th in possessions per game).
These teams have already met once this season. The Friars won 73-69. Providence had a much better turnover percentage (11.5 vs. 19.4). Georgetown, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (31.6 vs. 28.9). Govan scored a game-high 27 points.
Providence Friars at Georgetown Hoyas Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Georgetown, ATS Winner – Georgetown, O/U – Under
- The Friars rank 142nd in three pointers allowed per game (21.9) while the Hoyas rank 249th (24.8).
- Providence averages 3.9 blocks per game, which ranks 75th in the NCAA. Georgetown ranks 109th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Georgetown averages 38.8 rebounds per game, which ranks 36th in the nation. Providence ranks 181st in rebounds allowed per game (35.4).
- The Hoyas rank 10th in assists per game (17.6) while the Friars rank 136th (13.8).
- Providence averages 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 74th in the nation. Georgetown ranks 188th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- Betting Trends:
- During their last five games, the Friars have scored an average of 68.6 points per game (5.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.6 points per game (2.6 above their season average).