Big East foes will collide when the St. John’s Red Storm (10-2) meet the Providence Friars (9-4) at Carnesecca Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 142 points with St. John’s opening as a 6-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Providence Friars vs. St. John’s Red Storm Free Preview
In the Friars last game, they were victorious over the Sacred Heart Pioneers, 89-75. Rodney Bullock was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 12-for-24 shooting. Providence played a perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.239 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 10.3 (better than their season average of 17.6). For those same stats, Sacred Heart had marks of 0.138 and 17.5, respectively.
The Red Storm come in on a high note after beating the Saint Joseph’s Hawks in their last outing, 77-73. With 28 points on 9-for-15 shooting, Shamorie Ponds was the top scorer from either team. St. John’s played a nearly flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.310 (above their season average of 0.257) and a turnover percentage of 15.6 (worse than their season average of 14.9). For those same stats, Saint Joseph’s was 0.086 and 20.3, respectively.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, St. John’s should have a substantial edge. The Red Storm defense ranks 18th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.440), while the Providence offense is ranked 138th in effective field goal percentage (0.526).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Providence games have gone over 72.7 percent of the time, while 62.5 percent of games including St. John’s have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Red Storm have a substantial advantage. They are 10-2 SU and 4-5-1 ATS, while the Friars are 9-4 SU and 2-9 ATS.
Bullock has been exceptional recently for Providence, averaging 16.4 points, 7.0 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 1.4 blocks over the last five games.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Friars won 86-75. Providence had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.561 vs. 0.403). St. John’s, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (13.8 vs. 16.0).
Providence Friars at St. John’s Red Storm ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Providence, ATS Winner – Providence, O/U – Under
- The Red Storm average 6.7 blocks per game, which ranks fourth in the nation. The Friars rank 81st in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- St. John’s ranks 33rd in assists allowed per game (11.0) while Providence ranks 50th (11.5).
- On the road, Providence is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- St. John’s is 3-0-1 ATS at home with 2 unders and 0 overs.
- St. John’s averages 9.2 steals per game, which ranks 14th in the NCAA. Providence ranks 136th in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- The Friars average 36.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 137th in the NCAA. The Red Storm rank 237th in rebounds allowed per game (39.4).
- St. John’s ranks 162nd in three pointers attempted per game (21.4) while Providence ranks 241st (17.9).
- St. John’s is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Providence is 0-4 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Red Storm’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.0, down from 11.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Friars have scored an average of 70.0 points per game (5.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (0.4 below their season average).