Big East foes will clash when the Seton Hall Pirates (16-5, 5-3 Big East) clash against the Providence Friars (14-7, 5-3 Big East) at Prudential Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 146 points with Seton Hall set as a 6.5-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
Providence Friars at Seton Hall Pirates ATS Preview
The Friars were blown out by the No. 1 Villanova Wildcats in their last contest, 89-69. Providence’s Alpha Diallo contributed 12 points and eight rebounds in the contest. Villanova had a turnover percentage of 8.8 (better than their season average of 13.5). Providence, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 28.7).
In the Pirates last matchup, they beat the DePaul Blue Demons, 86-70. Seton Hall’s Angel Delgado led the way, contributing 10 points and 19 rebounds. Seton Hall played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.295 (above their season average of 0.231) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (below their season average of 35.5). For those same stats, DePaul was 0.106 and 24.4, respectively.
Seton Hall figures to have an edge on the offensive glass in this contest. The Pirates rank 25th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.4 percent), while Providence ranks 235th in defensive rebounding percentage (70.3 percent).
Of Providence’s 19 games with betting action, 12 have finished over the O/U total, while 10 of Seton Hall’s 19 games have finished over the projected point total. The Pirates come into this game with a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 16-5 SU and 10-11 ATS, while the Friars are 14-7 SU and 7-12 ATS.
Diallo has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Providence, averaging 14.8 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last matchup, the Pirates won 72-70. Seton Hall had a better effective field goal percentage (0.492 vs. 0.423). Providence, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (9.8 vs. 14.1).
Providence Friars vs. Seton Hall Pirates Odds Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Providence, ATS Winner – Providence, O/U – Under
- The Pirates average 6.8 steals per game, which ranks 82nd in the NCAA. The Friars rank 134th in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- Seton Hall ranks 221st in three pointers attempted per game (19.5) while Providence ranks 243rd (18.6).
- Seton Hall is 5-7 ATS at home, while Providence is 3-6 ATS on the road.
- The Friars have 5 overs and 4 unders in 9 road games.
- Of the Pirates 12 home games, they have 5 overs and 5 unders.
- Seton Hall averages 38.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 50th in the NCAA. Providence ranks 161st in rebounds allowed per game (35.4).
- The Friars average 4.2 blocks per game, which ranks 60th in the nation. The Pirates rank 119th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Seton Hall ranks 42nd in assists per game (16.2) while Providence ranks 99th (14.7).
- Seton Hall is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Providence is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pirates have been outscored by an average of 3.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Seton Hall has defeated opponents by an average of 8.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Friars have scored an average of 75.2 points per game (1.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.2 points per game (1.1 below their season average).