The Massachusetts Minutemen (4-5) will be at home in William D. Mullins Center when they square off against the Providence Friars (7-2). Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017.
Providence Friars vs. Massachusetts Minutemen ATS Preview
In the Friars last matchup, they were victorious over the Brown Bears, 77-72. Rodney Bullock was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 5-for-13 shooting. Providence played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 17.7 (better than their season average of 18.2) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.3 (below their season average of 33.6). For those same stats, Brown put up marks of 25.5 and 23.7, respectively.
The Minutemen come in on a high note after defeating the Holy Cross Crusaders in their last game, 64-50. Massachusetts C.J. Anderson had a good game, finishing with 10 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Massachusetts dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.435 (above their season average of 0.187) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.0 (above their season average of 27.4). For those same stats, Holy Cross recorded marks of 0.180 and 15.6, respectively.
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Massachusetts offense. Dating back to the 2016-17 season, Massachusetts ranks 282nd in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.5 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Providence has forced the 38th-most turnovers in the nation (20.8 percent). Additionally, the Friars 25th-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.524) will square off against the Minutemens 38th-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.468).
The Friars won the lone contest against the Minutemen last season, 75-69. The Friars dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.333 and a turnover percentage of 15.5. For those same stats, the Minutemen were 0.150 and 21.9, respectively.
Providence Friars at Massachusetts Minutemen Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Providence, ATS Winner – Providence, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Minutemen average 4.8 blocks per game, which ranks 38th in the NCAA. The Friars rank 206th in blocks allowed per game (3.1).
- Providence averages 34.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 149th in the NCAA. Massachusetts ranks 199th in rebounds allowed per game (36.0).
- Massachusetts ranks 86th in three pointers attempted per game (23.4) while Providence ranks 304th (18.9).
- The Minutemen rank 68th in steals per game (7.0) while the Friars rank 256th in steals allowed per game (6.5).
- Providence ranks 11th in assists allowed per game (11.5) while Massachusetts ranks 185th (13.7).