Expect a defensive battle when the Portland Trail Blazers (21-18) and Oklahoma City Thunder (22-18) square off at Chesapeake Energy Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder ATS Preview
The last time the Trail Blazers played, they won a close one over the San Antonio Spurs, 111-110. CJ McCollum led Portland in scoring with 25 points on 11-for-24 shooting. The Trail Blazers had a turnover percentage of 8.5 (better than their season average of 12.8) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.565 (above their season average of 0.500).
The Thunder are hoping for a better outcome after their 114-100 loss to the Phoenix Suns in their last game. With 26 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds, Russell Westbrook led the way for Oklahoma City with his 13th triple-double this season. Phoenix’s 6.7 turnover percentage was their largest strength over Oklahoma City, who had a rate of 10.4. The Suns mark was better than their season average of 13.5.
Expect this one to be a clinic on boxing out as two of the NBA’s top rebounding teams battle. The Thunder rank first in offensive rebounding percentage (27.1 percent), while Portland ranks fifth in defensive rebounding percentage (79.2 percent).
Both of these teams have typically finished under the O/U total. Games involving Portland have finished under 66.7 percent of the time, while Oklahoma City games have finished under 57.5 percent of the time. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (21-18 for Portland; 22-18 for Oklahoma City), but the Trail Blazers have the edge against the spread (ATS). Portland is 18-17-4 ATS, while the Thunder are 15-24-1.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Trail Blazers, it’s been McCollum, who has averaged 24.6 points, 5.2 rebounds and 4.8 assists, while the Thunder have received solid contributions from Westbrook (31.4 points, 11.2 assists, 11.0 rebounds and 1.2 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 202 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 211.5. The Trail Blazers won 103-99, covering as 3-point underdogs. The Trail Blazers played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.297 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.2. The Thunder had marks of 0.090 and 14.0, respectively, for those same stats. Damian Lillard put up a double-double in the victory with 36 points and 13 assists.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank second in three pointers allowed per game (25.4) while the Thunder rank 24th (30.8).
- Oklahoma City ranks fifth in second chance points per game (14.3) while Portland ranks 13th (12.8).
- Oklahoma City ranks eighth in blocks per game (5.1) while Portland ranks 25th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Oklahoma City ranks fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.6) while Portland ranks eighth (42.2).
- On the road, Portland is 12-6-1 ATS with 12 unders and 7 overs.
- At home, Oklahoma City is 8-11-1 ATS with 12 unders and 8 overs.
- Portland is 14-4 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Oklahoma City is 14-5.
- The Trail Blazers are 16-8 when they reach the century mark, while the Thunder are 19-8.
- The Trail Blazers rank first in assists allowed per game (19.5) while the Thunder rank 10th (22.0).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (9.5) while Portland ranks 26th (6.8).
- The Thunder rank fourth in fast break points per game (14.5) while the Trail Blazers rank 28th (5.9).
- The Thunder rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.3) while the Trail Blazers rank 12th (42.5).
- Oklahoma City ranks fourth in points off turnovers per game (18.4) while Portland ranks 27th (14.8).
- Oklahoma City is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Portland is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Thunder’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.6, up from 3.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 108.8 points per game (5.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 110.0 points per game (8.2 above their season average).