The New Orleans Pelicans (20-20) will be at home in Smoothie King Center when they challenge the Portland Trail Blazers (22-19). Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018.
Portland Trail Blazers at New Orleans Pelicans Betting Preview
The Trail Blazers lost to the Houston Rockets in their last matchup, 121-112. Portland’s Damian Lillard put together a good game, leading the team in scoring with 29 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Houston had an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 22.0). Portland, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (23-32; 71.9 percent).
In the Pelicans last matchup, they were topped by the Memphis Grizzlies, 105-102. DeMarcus Cousins was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Memphis had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.1 (above their season average of 21.1). New Orleans, meanwhile, held the Grizzlies to an effective field goal percentage of 0.449 (below their season average of 0.504).
Looking at effective field goal percentage, this appears to be a balanced matchup. The upper-echelon New Orleans offense ranks third in the league in that metric at 0.554, while the stingy Portland defense is ranked fourth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.502).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Portland games have gone under 63.4 percent of the time, while 57.5 percent of games including New Orleans have finished over. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (22-19 for Portland; 20-20 for New Orleans), but the Pelicans have the edge against the spread (ATS). New Orleans is 21-19 ATS, while the Trail Blazers are 19-18-4.
CJ McCollum has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Portland, averaging 24.6 points, 6.4 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These two teams have met twice already this season, each winning once. Lillard recorded 29 points, eight assists and five rebounds in the most recent matchup, in which the Trail Blazers lost 123-116, unable to cover as 7.5-point favorites. The two teams combined for 239 points, which was 27.5 points above the projected point total of 211.5 points. Getting to the charity stripe was one of New Orleans biggest advantages. They had 25 free throw attempts, while Portland had just 11.
Portland Trail Blazers at New Orleans Pelicans Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank second in points in the paint per game (50.3) while the Trail Blazers rank 21st (42.1).
- Portland averages 12.5 second chance points per game, which ranks 13th in the league. New Orleans ranks 22nd in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- Portland ranks 14th in steals allowed per game (7.7) while New Orleans ranks 27th (8.7).
- New Orleans is 9-10 ATS at home, while Portland is 13-7-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 13 of the Pelicans 19 home games, while 12 of the Trail Blazers 21 road games have gone under.
- New Orleans is 7-0 when they allow below 100 points, while Portland is 14-4.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Pelicans are 18-14 and the Trail Blazers are 17-9.
- The Pelicans rank 11th in blocks per game (5.0) while the Trail Blazers rank 23rd in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (26.4) while Portland ranks last (18.8).
- The Trail Blazers rank second in three pointers allowed per game (25.9) while the Pelicans rank 25th (30.5).
- The Trail Blazers average 44.6 rebounds per game, which ranks ninth in the league. The Pelicans rank 17th in rebounds allowed per game (43.5).
- Portland ranks fifth in fast break points allowed per game (9.8) while New Orleans ranks 27th (13.8).
- New Orleans is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Portland is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Pelicans average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.0, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 112.0 points per game (8.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 110.6 points per game (8.2 above their season average).