The Portland Trail Blazers (13-13), who are currently on a five-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they visit AmericanAirlines Arena to square off against the Miami Heat (13-13). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 202 points with Miami set as a 2.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 13, 2017.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Miami Heat Free Preview
The Trail Blazers were beaten by the Golden State Warriors in their last game, 111-104. Damian Lillard put together a good performance for Portland, leading both teams in scoring with 39 points on 12-for-28 shooting. Golden State had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.613 vs. 0.460). Portland, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (8.3 vs. 13.8).
In the Heat’s last matchup, they dismantled the Memphis Grizzlies, 107-82. With 19 points on 7-for-12 shooting, Goran Dragic was Miami’s leading scorer. The Heat, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.521, had an extraordinary mark of 0.667 and had a free throw rate of 0.288 (above their season average of 0.167).
The inefficient offense of Miami will square off against the top-notch defense of Portland. The Heat rank 24th in offensive efficiency, while the Trail Blazers are fifth in defensive efficiency. The Trail Blazers figure to have the edge on that end of the court.
Both of these teams tend to go under the O/U total. Portland games have finished under 69.2 percent of the time, while games involving Miami have finished under 57.7 percent of the time. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Trail Blazers are 13-13 SU and 10-13-3 ATS, while the Heat are 13-13 SU and 10-14-2 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Trail Blazers won both contests last season. In the last game, Portland won 115-104. The Trail Blazers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.217 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.584. The Heat recorded marks of 0.148 and 0.517, respectively, for those same stats.
Portland Trail Blazers at Miami Heat Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Heat, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank 13th in second chance points per game (12.5) while the Heat rank 28th (9.3).
- Miami ranks 22nd in assists per game (21.0) while Portland ranks 29th (18.1).
- Miami ranks 18th in steals per game (7.4) while Portland ranks 27th (6.6).
- Portland and Miami both rank 26th in points in the paint per game (40.5).
- Miami is 2-7-2 ATS at home, while Portland is 6-4-1 ATS on the road.
- The Trail Blazers have 7 unders and 4 overs in 11 road games.
- The Heat have 5 overs, 5 unders and 1 push in 11 home games.
- Miami and Portland are both 9-3 when they allow under 100 points.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Trail Blazers are 11-6 and the Heat are 10-5.
- The Heat rank 20th in points off turnovers per game (15.8) while the Trail Blazers rank 27th (14.8).
- Miami ranks fourth in three pointers attempted per game (32.2) while Portland ranks 24th (25.0).
- The Trail Blazers rank fourth in rebounds per game (46.0) while the Heat rank 24th (41.3).
- The Heat rank 28th in fast break points per game (7.6) while the Trail Blazers rank last (5.1).
- Miami ranks 10th in blocks allowed per game (4.5) while Portland ranks 27th (5.8).
- Miami is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Portland is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Heat have outscored opponents by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Miami has lost by an average of 2.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 104.0 points per game (0.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.4 points per game (11.8 above their season average).