The Houston Rockets (28-11) welcome the Portland Trail Blazers (22-18) in a matchup that pits phenomenal offense against exceptional defense. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 10, 2018, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Portland Trail Blazers at Houston Rockets Free Preview
The Trail Blazers were victorious over the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last game, 117-106. CJ McCollum was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 11-for-19 shooting. The Trail Blazers made 21 of their 26 free throws (80.8 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.593 (above their season average of 0.502).
In the Rockets last game, they topped the Chicago Bulls, 116-107. Clint Capela had a good outing for Houston, contributing 15 points and 16 rebounds. Houston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.4 (above their season average of 21.9) and a free throw rate of 0.209 (below their season average of 0.243). Chicago was 7.0 and 0.174, respectively, for those same stats.
This matchup pits one of the NBA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses as Houston ranks second in offensive efficiency and Portland is fourth in defensive efficiency.
Of Portland’s 39 games that accepted bets, 26 have finished under the projected point total, while 20 of Houston’s 39 games have finished over the O/U total. The Rockets have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (28-11 vs. 22-18), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Houston is 18-20-1, while Portland is 18-17-4 ATS.
McCollum has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Portland, averaging 22.8 points, 5.4 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 241 points, well over the projected point total of 217. The Rockets won 124-117, but were unable to cover as 8.5-point favorites. The Rockets played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.453 and a turnover percentage of 11.4. The Trail Blazers had marks of 0.102 and 13.9, respectively, for those same stats. James Harden scored a game-high 48 points.
Portland Trail Blazers at Houston Rockets ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Over
- The Trail Blazers rank seventh in points allowed in the paint per game (42.0) while the Rockets rank 27th (47.5).
- Portland ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.2) while Houston ranks 17th in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- Houston ranks 13th in fast break points per game (11.0) while Portland ranks 28th (6.0).
- Portland is 12-6-1 ATS on the road, while Houston is 7-12-1 ATS at home.
- The Trail Blazers have 12 unders and 7 overs in 19 road games.
- Of the Rockets 20 home games, they have 13 overs and 7 unders.
- Portland is 14-4 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Houston is 12-2.
- When reaching the century mark, the Trail Blazers are 17-8 and the Rockets are 28-8.
- The Rockets rank 16th in assists per game (22.5) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (18.8).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (43.6) while Portland ranks 24th (25.1).
- The Rockets rank fourth in steals per game (8.8) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (6.8).
- The Rockets rank third in rebounds allowed per game (41.2) while the Trail Blazers rank 11th (42.4).
- Houston ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.3) while Portland ranks 26th (14.8).
- Houston is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Portland is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 7.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 114.4 points per game (11.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 110.4 points per game (8.5 above their season average).