A 12-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the Cleveland Cavaliers (24-12) when they welcome the Portland Trail Blazers (19-17) to Quicken Loans Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Free Preview
The last time the Trail Blazers played, they beat the Chicago Bulls, 124-120. CJ McCollum was the top scorer from either team with 32 points on 11-for-30 shooting. The Trail Blazers had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 6.5 (better than their season average of 13.0) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.500 vs. 0.486).
The Cavaliers are hoping for a better outcome after their 104-101 loss to the Utah Jazz in their last contest. LeBron James led Cleveland in scoring with 29 points on 12-for-22 shooting. Utah had a better turnover percentage (10.8 vs. 14.0). Cleveland, on the other hand, held the Jazz to an offensive rebounding percentage of 11.9 (below their season average of 19.8).
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the high-octane offense of Cleveland (third in the league with an offensive efficiency of 111.7) takes on the elite defense of Portland (fourth in the league with a defensive efficiency of 102.5).
Of Portland’s 35 games that accepted bets, 25 have finished under the projected point total, while 18 of Cleveland’s 36 games have finished over the O/U total. The Cavaliers have the superior straight up (SU) record (24-12 vs. 19-17), but the Trail Blazers hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (16-16-3 vs. 11-24-1).
Shabazz Napier has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Portland, averaging 18.6 points, 4.2 assists and 2.2 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last contest, the Trail Blazers won 102-86. The Trail Blazers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 8.3 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.484. For those same stats, the Cavaliers were 13.7 and 0.396, respectively.
Portland Trail Blazers at Cleveland Cavaliers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Cavaliers, ATS Winner – Cavaliers, O/U – Under
- The Cavaliers rank 12th in points off turnovers per game (17.1) while the Trail Blazers rank 26th (14.7).
- Cleveland ranks 22nd in steals per game (7.3) while Portland ranks 25th (6.7).
- Cleveland ranks 23rd in fast break points per game (9.3) while Portland ranks last (5.6).
- Portland is 11-5-1 ATS on the road, while Cleveland is 2-15-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 10 of the Cavaliers 18 home games, while 12 of the Trail Blazers 17 road games have gone under.
- Cleveland is 10-1 when they allow below 100 points, while Portland is 13-4.
- When scoring more than 100 points, the Cavaliers are 24-8 and the Trail Blazers are 14-7.
- The Trail Blazers average 45.1 rebounds per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. The Cavaliers rank 13th in rebounds allowed per game (42.8).
- Portland ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (25.3) while Cleveland ranks last (32.1).
- The Trail Blazers rank first in assists allowed per game (19.2) while the Cavaliers rank 29th (25.4).
- Portland ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.3) while Cleveland ranks 26th (3.7).
- Cleveland is 0-5 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Portland is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Cavaliers have been outscored by an average of 4.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Cleveland has defeated opponents by an average of 2.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 101.4 points per game (0.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.6 points per game (4.4 above their season average).