The Boston Celtics (38-15), the NBA’s top shooting defense, will meet the Portland Trail Blazers (29-23) at TD Garden. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 201 points with Boston set as a 2-point favorite. Action begins at 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 4, 2018.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Boston Celtics Betting Preview
In the Trail Blazers last matchup, they got blown out by the Toronto Raptors, 130-105. With 32 points on 11-for-18 shooting, Damian Lillard led Portland in scoring. Toronto had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.7 (above their season average of 23.5). Portland, meanwhile, did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (24-33; 72.7 percent).
The Celtics come in on a high note after defeating the Atlanta Hawks in their last outing, 119-110. With 31 points on 11-for-18 shooting, Terry Rozier was the games leading scorer. Boston dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.9 (below their season average of 20.9) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.567 (above their season average of 0.518). For those same stats, Atlanta was 10.3 and 0.494, respectively.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Boston figures to have a noteworthy advantage. The Celtics defense ranks first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.483), while the Portland offense is ranked 19th in effective field goal percentage (0.514).
Of Portland’s 52 games, 30 have finished under the projected point total, while 27 of Boston’s 53 games have finished under the O/U total. The Celtics hold a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 38-15 SU and 32-19-2 ATS, while the Trail Blazers are 29-23 SU and 25-22-5 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last game, the Celtics won 120-111. Boston had a much better turnover percentage (7.2 vs. 14.2). Portland, meanwhile, did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (24-31; 77.4 percent).
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Boston Celtics Free Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank 23rd in fast break points per game (9.8) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (6.8).
- Boston ranks 18th in blocks per game (4.6) while Portland ranks 20th in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- Portland ranks 23rd in points in the paint per game (42.0) while Boston ranks 28th (39.4).
- On the road, Portland is 15-10-2 ATS with 15 unders and 12 overs.
- Boston is 15-11-2 ATS at home with 14 overs and 14 unders.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Portland is 17-4 and Boston is 25-2.
- When scoring more than 100 points, the Celtics are 28-7 and the Trail Blazers are 24-13.
- The Trail Blazers rank fourth in three pointers allowed per game (26.2) while the Celtics rank seventh (26.4).
- Portland averages 44.7 rebounds per game, which ranks eighth in the league. Boston ranks 21st in rebounds allowed per game (44.0).
- The Celtics rank third in steals allowed per game (6.9) while the Trail Blazers rank 14th (7.6).
- The Trail Blazers are 26th in the league with 14.5 points off turnovers per game while the Celtics are 28th with 14.3 points off turnovers per game.
- Boston ranks 17th in assists per game (22.2) while Portland ranks 28th (19.2).
- Boston is 5-0 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Portland is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.4, up from 4.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 112.6 points per game (7.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.2 points per game (4.6 above their season average).