The Atlanta Hawks (9-26) will be at home in Philips Arena when they go head-to-head with the Portland Trail Blazers (18-16). Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Atlanta Hawks Free Preview
In the Trail Blazers last matchup, they were victorious over the Philadelphia 76ers, 114-110. CJ McCollum was the games leading scorer with 34 points on 9-for-20 shooting. The Trail Blazers knocked down 36 of their 47 free throws (76.6 percent) and held the 76ers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 11.4 (below their season average of 26.4).
The Hawks are hoping for a better outcome after their 111-98 loss to the Toronto Raptors in their last contest. Taurean Prince was the top scorer from either team with 30 points on 12-for-16 shooting. Toronto had a turnover percentage of 9.2 (better than their season average of 12.2). Atlanta, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.148 vs. 0.057).
Atlanta might struggle to put up points as they battle against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Portland currently ranks third in defensive efficiency, while the Hawks rank 18th in offensive efficiency.
Of Portland’s 34 games, 24 have finished under the O/U total, while 18 of Atlanta’s 34 games have finished over the O/U total. The Trail Blazers hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (18-16 vs. 9-26), but the Hawks have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (19-14-1 vs. 16-15-3).
Shabazz Napier has really been playing well over the last five games for Portland, averaging 14.6 points and 1.6 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. In the last matchup, the Trail Blazers won 113-97. The Trail Blazers offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over the Hawks. Portland had a rate of 36.1, while Atlanta posted a mark of 22.6.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Atlanta Hawks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank eighth in rebounds per game (44.9) while the Hawks rank 27th (40.0).
- Portland averages 5.2 blocks per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. Atlanta ranks 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Portland ranks ninth in second chance points allowed per game (11.4) while Atlanta ranks 27th (14.2).
- Atlanta ranks 21st in points in the paint per game (41.8) while Portland ranks 25th (40.8).
- Portland is 11-4-1 ATS on the road, while Atlanta is 9-8 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 10 of the Hawks 17 home games, while 11 of the Trail Blazers 16 road games have gone under.
- Portland is 13-4 when they allow below 100 points, while Atlanta is 2-3.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Trail Blazers are 13-7 and the Hawks are 9-14.
- The Hawks rank eighth in points off turnovers per game (18.0) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (14.9).
- Portland ranks first in assists allowed per game (18.6) while Atlanta ranks last (25.7).
- The Trail Blazers rank first in three pointers allowed per game (25.1) while the Hawks rank 27th (31.5).
- The Trail Blazers rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (9.2) while the Hawks rank 17th (11.2).
- Atlanta ranks seventh in steals per game (8.5) while Portland ranks 26th (6.6).
- Atlanta is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Portland is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.4, down from 4.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 98.4 points per game (3.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 101.0 points per game (0.4 above their season average).