The New Orleans Pelicans (2-0) will be 3.5-point favorites at home in game three of the First Round of the Western Conference Playoffs when they go head-to-head with the Portland Trail Blazers (0-2). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 216 points and it will air on NBATV at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, April 19, 2018.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Odds
In game two, Holiday led the Pelicans to a 111-102 win. He was the game’s leading scorer with 33 points. The two teams combined to put up 213 points, which was just under the projected point total of 217, and New Orleans covered as a 6.5-point underdog. New Orleans’ 0.155 free throw rate was their biggest strength over Portland, who had a mark of 0.088.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, this appears to be a matchup of two heavyweights. The sharp-shooting New Orleans offense ranks fourth in the league in that metric at 0.541, while the stingy Portland defense is ranked fifth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.504).
Vegas has a tendency to set the total high when the Trail Blazers are involved, as 57.1 percent of their games have finished under the projected point total. Portland holds records of 49-35 straight up (SU) and 45-32-7 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Portland, games including the Pelicans have typically gone over the total (57.1 percent). Further, New Orleans is 50-34 SU and 47-36-1 ATS.
Nikola Mirotic has really been playing well recently for New Orleans, averaging 24.0 points, 12.8 rebounds, 1.6 steals and 1.4 blocks over the last five games.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. New Orleans Pelicans Odds Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Under
- The Pelicans rank eighth in steals per game (8.0) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (7.0).
- New Orleans ranks third in assists per game (26.7) while Portland ranks last (19.5).
- The Trail Blazers rank sixth in second chance points per game (13.7) while the Pelicans rank 28th in second chance points allowed per game (13.9).
- New Orleans ranks third in blocks per game (6.0) while Portland ranks 24th in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Portland ranks fifth in three pointers allowed per game (26.5) while New Orleans ranks 25th (30.7).
- The Pelicans rank fourth in fast break points per game (15.2) while the Trail Blazers rank last (8.4).
- The Trail Blazers average 45.5 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 24th in rebounds allowed per game (45.6).
- Portland ranks fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.8) while New Orleans ranks 21st (17.3).
- New Orleans ranks first in points in the paint per game (52.2) while Portland ranks 23rd (43.1).
- When holding opponents under 100 points, New Orleans is 13-2 and Portland is 26-8.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Trail Blazers are 44-19 and the Pelicans are 46-22.
- New Orleans is 19-21-1 ATS at home, while Portland is 22-16-3 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 24 of the Trail Blazers’ 41 road games, while 28 of the Pelicans’ 41 home games have gone over.
- The Pelicans are 5-0 ATS over their last five games, while the Trail Blazers are 1-4.
- In their last five games, New Orleans has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Portland has 4 unders and 1 over.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 113.8 points per game (2.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 103.0 points per game (7.1 below their season average).
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 3.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 2.4 points.