The Los Angeles Clippers (25-24) will be at home in Staples Center when they clash against the Portland Trail Blazers (27-22). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 220 points with Los Angeles opening as a 2-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 10:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 30, 2018.
Portland Trail Blazers at Los Angeles Clippers ATS Preview
The last time the Trail Blazers played, they were victorious over the Dallas Mavericks, 107-93. With 15 points and 13 rebounds, Ed Davis played well for Portland. Portland played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 (above their season average of 23.0) and a free throw rate of 0.241 (above their season average of 0.190). For those same stats, Dallas was 15.4 and 0.146, respectively.
The Clippers come in on a high note after beating the New Orleans Pelicans in their last contest, 112-103. With 27 points on 10-for-22 shooting, Blake Griffin was the games leading scorer. Los Angeles played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.6 (below their season average of 23.1) and a turnover percentage of 10.4 (better than their season average of 13.2). New Orleans recorded marks of 15.2 and 13.5, respectively, for those same stats.
The physical Los Angeles offense looks poised to dominate from the free throw line. The Clippers currently rank fifth in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.226, while Portland ranks 17th in FTA rate allowed (0.199).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games including Portland have gone under 59.2 percent of the time, while Los Angeles games have gone over 55.1 percent of the time. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (27-22 for Portland; 25-24 for Los Angeles), but the Clippers have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Los Angeles is 27-21-1 ATS, while the Trail Blazers are 23-21-5.
Lou Williams has really been playing well over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 25.6 points, 7.2 assists and 3.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 207 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 216.5. The Clippers won 104-103, covering as 2-point underdogs. Los Angeles had a better free throw rate (0.299 vs. 0.213). Portland, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (8.4 vs. 10.6). Griffin was a standout player in the game, putting up 25 points, eight rebounds and five assists.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Los Angeles Clippers Odds Prediction
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Clippers rank 13th in steals per game (8.0) while the Trail Blazers rank 28th (6.8).
- Portland ranks 13th in second chance points allowed per game (11.7) while Los Angeles ranks 26th (13.4).
- Portland averages 44.5 rebounds per game, which ranks eighth in the league. Los Angeles ranks 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (44.2).
- Los Angeles ranks 16th in points off turnovers per game (16.6) while Portland ranks 26th (14.6).
- Portland is 14-9-2 ATS on the road with 14 unders and 11 overs.
- At home, Los Angeles is 13-12 ATS with 15 overs, 9 unders and 1 push.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Los Angeles is 10-2 and Portland is 16-4.
- The Trail Blazers are 22-12 when they reach the century mark, while the Clippers are 23-17.
- The Trail Blazers rank fourth in three pointers allowed per game (25.9) while the Clippers rank 17th (29.2).
- Portland ranks seventh in fast break points allowed per game (10.0) while Los Angeles ranks 29th (14.6).
- The Trail Blazers rank first in assists allowed per game (19.8) while the Clippers rank 21st (23.8).
- The Trail Blazers average 5.1 blocks per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. The Clippers rank 19th in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- Los Angeles ranks third in points in the paint per game (49.1) while Portland ranks 21st (41.9).
- Los Angeles is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Portland is 4-0-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Clippers have been outscored by an average of 2.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Los Angeles has defeated opponents by an average of 0.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 109.6 points per game (5.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 101.0 points per game (2.1 below their season average).