The Dallas Mavericks (16-32) will be at home in American Airlines Center when they challenge the Portland Trail Blazers (26-22). Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 26, 2018.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Dallas Mavericks ATS Preview,
The Trail Blazers defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last outing, 123-114. Damian Lillard was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 9-for-17 shooting. The Trail Blazers held the Timberwolves to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.9 (below their season average of 25.4) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.652 (above their season average of 0.509).
The last time the Mavericks played, they were beaten by the Houston Rockets, 104-97. Wesley Matthews was the games leading scorer with 29 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Houston had a turnover percentage of 8.9 (better than their season average of 12.9). Dallas, meanwhile, held the Rockets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.9 (below their season average of 22.7).
Dallas could put on a ball-control clinic in this battle. Dallas ranks second in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.3 percent), while Portland forces the third-fewest turnovers (13.0 percent).
Of Portland’s 48 games, 28 have finished under the projected point total, while 26 of Dallas 48 games have finished under the O/U total. The Trail Blazers have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (26-22 vs. 16-32), but the Mavericks have been superior against the spread (ATS) (24-24 vs. 22-21-5).
Dennis Smith Jr. has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Dallas, averaging 20.2 points, 5.2 assists and 1.4 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 225 points, well over the projected point total of 210. The Trail Blazers won 117-108, covering as 6-point favorites. Portland made 18 of its 36 three pointers (50.0 percent). Dallas, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (22-28; 78.6 percent). In the victory, Lillard led all scorers with 31 points.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Dallas Mavericks ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank 14th in second chance points per game (12.6) while the Mavericks rank last (9.5).
- Dallas ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.8) while Portland ranks 12th (15.6).
- Portland ranks 11th in rebounds per game (44.3) while Dallas ranks 27th (40.6).
- Portland ranks 25th in steals per game (6.9) while Dallas ranks 27th (6.8).
- Dallas is 12-14 ATS at home, while Portland is 13-9-2 ATS on the road.
- Of the Trail Blazers 24 road games, they have 13 unders and 11 overs.
- The Mavericks have 15 unders, 10 overs and 1 push in 26 home games.
- When allowing under 100 points, Portland is 15-4 and Dallas is 12-8.
- The Mavericks are 10-15 when they score over 100 points, while the Trail Blazers are 21-12.
- The Mavericks rank 14th in assists per game (22.4) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (19.1).
- Portland ranks seventh in fast break points allowed per game (10.0) while Dallas ranks 28th (14.0).
- The Trail Blazers rank ninth in blocks per game (5.1) while the Mavericks rank 28th (3.8).
- The Trail Blazers rank 22nd in points in the paint per game (42.0) while the Mavericks rank last (38.6).
- Dallas ranks fourth in three pointers attempted per game (31.9) while Portland ranks 23rd (26.2).
- Dallas is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Portland is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Mavericks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.4, down from 1.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 111.8 points per game (7.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 104.6 points per game (1.3 above their season average).