The Utah Jazz (4-3), the league’s top scoring defense, will meet the Portland Trail Blazers (4-3) at Vivint Smart Home Arena. Utah is a 4-point favorite on the opening line while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 196.5 points. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 1, 2017.
Portland Trail Blazers at Utah Jazz Odds Preview
In the Trail Blazers’ last matchup, they lost to the Toronto Raptors, 99-85. With 36 points on 12-for-23 shooting, Damian Lillard was the top scorer from either team. Toronto held the Trail Blazers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.3 (below their season average of 31.1). Portland, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (15-19; 78.9 percent).
The last time the Jazz played, they defeated the Dallas Mavericks, 104-89. Rudy Gobert had a good game for Utah, contributing 17 points, 12 rebounds and six assists. Utah dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.9 (better than their season average of 18.3) and a free throw rate of 0.150 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Dallas put up marks of 22.9 and 0.118, respectively.
Utah figures to have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. Since last season, the Jazz rank second in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.497), while Portland is 12th in effective field goal percentage (0.515).
Both of these teams tend to finish under the O/U total. Portland games have gone under 71.4 percent of the time, while games involving Utah have gone under 71.4 percent of the time. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (4-3 for Portland; 4-3 for Utah), but the Jazz have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Utah is 5-2 ATS, while the Trail Blazers are 3-3-1.
Each team won two of the four games played against each other last season. The Trail Blazers won the most recent contest 113-104. Portland did an excellent job of making free throws (22-22; 100.0 percent). Utah, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (11.0 vs. 12.4).
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Utah Jazz ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Jazz rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (10.6) while the Trail Blazers rank 11th (12.6).
- Neither of these teams are great at stealing the ball. Utah is 26th in the league with 7.0 steals per game while Portland is 27th with 7.0 steals per game.
- Utah is 25th in the league with 15.0 points off turnovers per game while Portland is 28th with 14.6 points off turnovers per game.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Portland is 19-6 and Utah is 42-11.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Trail Blazers are 41-31 and the Jazz are 44-12.
- The Jazz rank first in assists allowed per game (18.3) while the Trail Blazers rank fourth (20.5).
- Utah ranks third in blocks allowed per game (3.7) while Portland ranks last (5.6).
- The Jazz rank first in rebounds allowed per game (40.5) while the Trail Blazers rank 17th (43.9).
- The Jazz allow the second-fewest three pointers per game (23.3) while the Trail Blazers rank third (25.3).
- Portland ranks 15th in second chance points per game (13.0) while Utah ranks 28th (10.7).