The Portland Pilots and Portland State Vikings will face off at Earle A. Chiles Center to open their seasons. Portland opened as a 1-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 149.5 points. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, November 11, 2017.
Portland State Vikings at Portland Pilots Betting Preview
Neither team made the tournament last season. Portland State went 15-16 in the regular season while Portland finished 11-22.
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Portland. Last season, Portland ranked 207th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.0 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Portland State forced the 21st-most turnovers in the NCAA (22.4 percent). It will also be a battle of contrasting styles as the fast-breaking Vikings ranked seventh in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Pilots ranked 261st.
The Vikings had a middling 15-16 straight up (SU) record last season, but were just 12-12-2 against the spread (ATS). Vegas had a tendency to place the total slightly low when Portland State is involved, as 17 of their 26 games finished over the projected point total.
The Pilots, meanwhile, were 11-22 SU and 14-14-2 ATS last season. Vegas had a tendency to set the total slightly high when Portland is involved last year, as 60.0 percent of their games ended under the O/U total.
The Vikings won the only contest against the Pilots last season, 77-75. Portland State out-rebounded Portland. The Vikings had more offensive rebounds (14 vs. seven), defensive rebounds (23 vs. 19) and total rebounds (37 vs. 26).
Portland State Vikings vs. Portland Pilots ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Portland, ATS Winner – Portland, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Vikings rank 41st in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Pilots rank 187th (3.8).
- Portland ranks 229th in rebounds allowed per game (36.6) while Portland State ranks 272nd (37.8).
- Portland State ranks 38th in assists per game (15.8) while Portland ranks 306th (9.8).
- The Vikings rank second in steals per game (9.9) while the Pilots rank 253rd (4.9).
- Portland State ranks 106th in three pointers attempted per game (22.5) while Portland ranks 295th (17.4).