The California Golden Bears (6-6) will be at home in Haas Pavilion when they clash against the Portland State Vikings (6-3). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 169 points with California opening as a 3.5-point favorite. Action begins at 11 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017, and it can be seen on Pac-12 Network.
Portland State Vikings at California Golden Bears Odds Preview
In the Vikings last outing, they lost to the Oregon Ducks, 95-84. Portland State’s Bryce Canda put together a solid performance, leading both teams in scoring with 31 points on 9-for-21 shooting. Oregon did a great job of making free throws (20-26; 76.9 percent). Portland State, on the other hand, forced the Ducks into a turnover percentage of 19.3 (above their season average of 15.5).
The Golden Bears will look to keep it rolling after dismantling the Seattle Redhawks in their last game, 81-59. California was lifted by Don Coleman, who finished with 16 points, six assists and five rebounds. California dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 7.5 (better than their season average of 18.5) and a free throw rate of 0.290 (matching their season average). Seattle recorded marks of 18.2 and 0.121, respectively, for those same stats.
It could be a sloppy game for the California offense. Dating back to the 2016-17 season, California ranks 269th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.4 percent), while the gambling defense of Portland State has forced the 17th-most turnovers in the nation (23.0 percent).
Games including these teams have typically gone over the projected point total. Portland State games have gone over 66.7 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of California games have gone over. The Vikings hold a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 6-3 SU and 9-0 ATS, while the Golden Bears are 6-6 SU and 4-5 ATS.
Portland State Vikings at California Golden Bears Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Portland State, ATS Winner – Portland State, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Vikings rank 12th in steals per game (9.8) while the Golden Bears rank 109th (5.3).
- Portland State averages 15.6 assists per game, which ranks 104th in the nation. California ranks 200th in assists allowed per game (12.6).
- Portland State ranks 40th in three pointers attempted per game (23.3) while California ranks 279th (18.2).
- The Golden Bears rank 100th in rebounds allowed per game (32.7) while the Vikings rank 250th (38.7).
- California averages 5.0 blocks per game, which ranks 12th in the nation. Portland State ranks 154th in blocks allowed per game (3.2).