Phil Kessel, Sidney Crosby, and the Pittsburgh Penguins are set to do battle against Mika Zibanejad, Chris Kreider, and the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden in a Metro Division tilt. The action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, March 25, and you can see the game live on AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh Penguins vs. New York Rangers Odds
Boasting a -200 moneyline, Pittsburgh heads into the contest as the noticeable favorite. The line for the Rangers now stands at +170 and the Over/Under (O/U) has been placed at an even 6 goals (-120 over, +100 under).
Pittsburgh is 41-35 straight up (SU) and has lost 10.8 units for moneyline bettors this year. 37 of its contests have gone under the total, while 33 have gone over and just six have pushed. This 2018-19 Penguins team is 20-19 SU on the road.
Pittsburgh has converted on 25.2 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a mark that places them in the top-5 among NHL teams. Additionally, its penalty kill is ranked 13th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 81.1 percent of all penalties..
Sporting a .918 save percentage and 29.3 saves per game, Matt Murray (26-18-5) has been the top option in goal for Pittsburgh this season. If it chooses to rest him, however, Pittsburgh may roll with Casey DeSmith (15-21-5), who has a .916 save percentage and 2.75 goals against average this year.
New York is 29-45 straight up (SU) and has lost 6.3 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 74 regular season contests, 35 of its games have gone over the total, while another 35 have gone under and just four have pushed. This season, the team is 17-20 SU at home.
The Rangers have converted on just 19.0 percent of their power play chances this season, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 26th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 78.7 percent of all penalties.
Henrik Lundqvist has stopped 29.6 shots per game as the top netminder in goal for the Rangers. Lundqvist has 18 wins, 31 losses, and 10 overtime losses to his credit and has registered a mediocre 2.99 goals against average and a fairly-weak .909 save percentage this season.
Pittsburgh Penguins vs. New York Rangers Betting Predictions
Prediction: SU Winner – Penguins, O/U – Over
- A majority (65.9 percent) of Pittsburgh’s wins have come by two or more goals, and the team is 27-19 overall in such games. 12 of New York’s wins (41.4 percent) have been decided by two or more goals.
- The Rangers are 9-11 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 18-26 in games where they serve fewer than 10 penalty minutes, in total.
- Two of New York’s last ten games have ended in a shootout. The team is 0-2 in those games and 6-4 overall in shootouts this season.
- The total has gone under in four of Pittsburgh’s last five games.
- Pittsburgh is ranked 14th this season with 9.9 giveaways per game. That figure has trended upward recently, as the team’s averaged 11.3 giveaways over its last 10 games and 12.2 giveaways over its last five.
- New York skaters have averaged 14.0 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 12.7 giveaways per game (ranked 28th).
- This game features two of the more physical teams in the league. Pittsburgh skaters have given out the league’s second-most hits per game (28.8) while the Broadway Blueshirts have tallied the fifth-most (26.0).