The Pittsburgh Panthers (8-10, 0-5 ACC) head to Carrier Dome to take on the Syracuse Orange (12-6, 1-4 ACC). The Panthers look to put an end to their five-game losing streak. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 126 points with Syracuse set as a 17-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Syracuse Orange ATS Preview
In the Panthers last outing, they were beaten by the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, 69-54. Pittsburgh’s Shamiel Stevenson had a good game, leading the team in scoring with nine points on 3-for-8 shooting. Georgia Tech had an offensive rebounding percentage of 51.7 (above their season average of 31.3). Pittsburgh, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.333 (above their season average of 0.261).
The Orange are hoping for a better outcome after their 101-90 loss to the No. 23 Florida State Seminoles in their last matchup. Tyus Battle was the top scorer from either team with 37 points on 11-for-27 shooting. Florida State had a much better turnover percentage (13.4 vs. 18.5). Syracuse, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (30-38; 78.9 percent).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when two of the nations slowest-paced teams battle. Syracuse ranks 326th in possessions per game (66.5) and Pittsburgh is 316th (66.9).
Games including these teams have typically finished under the O/U total. Pittsburgh games have gone under 84.6 percent of the time, while Syracuse games have finished under 56.3 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Orange have a clear advantage. They are 12-6 SU and 7-9 ATS, while the Panthers are 8-10 SU and 6-7 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after splitting two games last season. In the last contest, the Panthers won 80-75. The Panthers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 48.5 and a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.364. The Orange were 25.7 and 0.283, respectively, for those same stats.
Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Syracuse Orange ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Syracuse, ATS Winner – Pittsburgh, O/U – Under
- The Orange average 6.1 blocks per game, which ranks ninth in the nation. The Panthers rank 111th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Pittsburgh ranks 163rd in assists per game (13.2) while Syracuse ranks 232nd (11.3).
- Pittsburgh is 3-3 ATS on the road with 5 unders and 1 over.
- Syracuse is 4-6 ATS at home with 8 unders and 2 overs.
- Syracuse ranks 23rd in rebounds per game (40.3) while Pittsburgh ranks 226th (33.4).
- The Orange rank 22nd in steals per game (8.3) while the Panthers rank 198th (4.6).
- Pittsburgh ranks 97th in three pointers attempted per game (23.4) while Syracuse ranks 238th (18.1).
- Syracuse is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Pittsburgh is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Orange have been outscored by an average of 2.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Syracuse has defeated opponents by an average of 5.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 55.4 points per game (10.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.2 points per game (5.4 above their season average).