To close out the regular season, the Pittsburgh Panthers (8-22, 0-17 ACC) will travel to Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center and clash against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish (17-12, 7-9 ACC). Notre Dame opened as a 21.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 136 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 28, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Odds Preview
The Panthers were blown out by the No. 1 Virginia Cavaliers in their last contest, 66-37. With 12 points on 4-for-10 shooting, Parker Stewart led Pittsburgh in scoring. Virginia had an effective field goal percentage of 0.592 (above their season average of 0.530). Pittsburgh, meanwhile, did a terrific job of making free throws (8-11; 72.7 percent).
In the Fighting Irish’s last matchup, they beat the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, 76-71. Notre Dame received a boost from Martinas Geben, who was the game’s leading scorer with 22 points on 10-for-18 shooting. The Fighting Irish made 18 of their 20 free throws (90.0 percent) and had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.3 vs. 25.7).
Notre Dame could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their high-powered offense squares off against one of the NCAA’s worst defenses. The Fighting Irish rank 30th in offensive efficiency, while Pittsburgh ranks 311th in defensive efficiency.
Of Pittsburgh’s 25 games with betting action, 20 have finished under the O/U total, while 13 of Notre Dame’s 24 games have finished over the projected point total. The Fighting Irish have the superior straight up (SU) record (17-12 vs. 8-22), but the Panthers hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (13-12 vs. 11-13).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Panthers, it’s been Stewart, who has averaged 12.2 points, while the Fighting Irish have gotten great contributions from Matt Farrell (21.8 points and 6.8 assists).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Fighting Irish won the sole game last season, 78-77. Notre Dame had a better effective field goal percentage (0.514 vs. 0.458). Pittsburgh, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (11-14; 78.6 percent).
Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Notre Dame, ATS Winner – Pittsburgh, O/U – Under
- The Panthers rank 66th in three pointers attempted per game (24.4) while the Fighting Irish rank 159th in three pointers allowed per game (22.2).
- Notre Dame ranks 93rd in blocks per game (3.6) while Pittsburgh ranks 173rd in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- Pittsburgh is 7-5 ATS on the road, while Notre Dame is 4-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 8 of the Fighting Irish’s 10 home games, while 9 of the Panthers’ 12 road games have gone under.
- Notre Dame ranks 28th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Pittsburgh ranks 186th (6.9).
- The Fighting Irish rank 142nd in rebounds per game (35.6) while the Panthers rank 279th (31.3).
- Notre Dame averages 14.4 assists per game, which ranks 107th in the NCAA. Pittsburgh ranks 237th in assists allowed per game (15.3).
- Notre Dame is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Pittsburgh is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Fighting Irish’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.4, down from 7.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 57.4 points per game (4.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.4 points per game (5.9 above their season average).