The Notre Dame Fighting Irish (18-13, 8-10 ACC) and the Pittsburgh Panthers (8-23, 0-18 ACC) square off in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tourney at Barclays Center. Action gets underway at 2 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Free Preview
The Fighting Irish are hoping for a better outcome after their 62-57 loss to the No. 1 Virginia Cavaliers in their last outing. Bonzie Colson was the games high scorer with 24 points on 9-for-20 shooting. Virginia had a turnover percentage of 7.8 (better than their season average of 13.0). Notre Dame, meanwhile, held the Cavaliers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.2 (below their season average of 27.7).
The last time the Panthers played it was against the Fighting Irish. The Fighting Irish won 73-56. The Fighting Irish played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.149 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 44.2. The Panthers had marks of 0.076 and 25.6, respectively, for those same stats. Colson was a top performer in the victory, with 12 points and nine rebounds.
The high-octane offense of Notre Dame will square off against the bottom-tier defense of Pittsburgh. The Fighting Irish rank 36th in offensive efficiency, while the Panthers are 309th in defensive efficiency. The Fighting Irish should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Martinas Geben has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Notre Dame, averaging 16.0 points and 9.2 rebounds per game.
Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Notre Dame, ATS Winner – Notre Dame, O/U – Under
- The Panthers rank 62nd in three pointers attempted per game (24.6) while the Fighting Irish rank 160th in three pointers allowed per game (22.1).
- Notre Dame ranks 90th in blocks per game (3.6) while Pittsburgh ranks 174th in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- Notre Dame ranks 109th in rebounds per game (36.2) while Pittsburgh ranks 268th (31.4).
- The Fighting Irish rank 104th in assists per game (14.3) while the Panthers rank 244th in assists allowed per game (15.4).
- Notre Dame ranks 30th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while Pittsburgh ranks 163rd (6.7).
- The Fighting Irish’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.2, down from 7.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 56.6 points per game (5.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.2 points per game (1.7 above their season average).