ACC foes will clash when the Virginia Tech Hokies (11-4, 0-2 ACC) take on the Pittsburgh Panthers (8-7, 0-2 ACC) at Cassell Coliseum. Action gets underway at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018.
Pittsburgh Panthers at Virginia Tech Hokies Odds Preview
In the Panthers last contest, they got blown out by the Louisville Cardinals, 77-51. With 12 points on 3-for-8 shooting, Parker Stewart led Pittsburgh in scoring. Louisville out-rebounded Pittsburgh. The Cardinals had more offensive rebounds (nine vs. four), defensive rebounds (33 vs. 25) and total rebounds (42 vs. 29).
The Hokies are trying to rebound after their 78-52 loss to the No. 8 Virginia Cavaliers in their last game. Kerry Blackshear Jr. was the games high scorer with 14 points on 5-for-9 shooting. Virginia had a turnover percentage of 8.5 (better than their season average of 13.1). Virginia Tech, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.340 (above their season average of 0.327).
Virginia Tech does a great job at getting to the charity stripe. They rank eighth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.327), but Pittsburgh is among the best in the NCAA at keeping opponents off the line (ranking 43rd by allowing a FTA rate of 0.182).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Hokies won the only game played against each other last season, 66-63. Virginia Tech did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (12-15; 80.0 percent). Pittsburgh, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (41.7 vs. 22.2).
Pittsburgh Panthers at Virginia Tech Hokies Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Virginia Tech, ATS Winner – Virginia Tech, O/U – Under
- The Panthers rank 100th in blocks per game (3.5) while the Hokies rank 101st in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Virginia Tech ranks 27th in assists per game (17.5) while Pittsburgh ranks 138th (13.9).
- The Panthers rank 95th in three pointers attempted per game (24.0) while the Hokies rank 165th in three pointers allowed per game (23.1).
- Virginia Tech ranks 129th in rebounds per game (36.5) while Pittsburgh ranks 179th in rebounds allowed per game (36.6).
- The Hokies have been outscored by an average of 4.0 points in their last five games. For the season, Virginia Tech has defeated opponents by an average of 15.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 62.6 points per game (4.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.4 points per game (4.8 below their season average).