The Pittsburgh Panthers (7-2) visit WVU Coliseum to square off against the West Virginia Mountaineers (5-3). The Panthers will attempt to extend their six-game winning streak. The game can be seen on ESPN2 at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 8, 2018.
Pittsburgh Panthers vs. West Virginia Mountaineers Betting Odds
In their last contest, the Mountaineers fell to the Buffalo Bulls, 99-94, while the Panthers were victorious over the Youngstown State Penguins, 69-53.
Pittsburgh played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.236 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.509. For those same stats, Youngstown State recorded marks of 0.134 and 0.328, respectively. West Virginia, on the other hand, did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (25-35; 71.4 percent). Lamont West had a solid performance for West Virginia, putting up 22 points and nine rebounds. Pittsburgh, meanwhile, rallied around Xavier Johnson, who put up 16 points, six assists and five rebounds.
The Mountaineers won the lone contest between these two teams last season, 69-60. The Mountaineers’ turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Panthers. West Virginia had a rate of 12.5, while Pittsburgh posted a mark of 18.8.
The offensive glass should be a major advantage for West Virginia in this contest. The Mountaineers rank 12th in offensive rebounding percentage (37.0 percent), while Pittsburgh ranks 321st in defensive rebounding percentage (67.2 percent) dating back to last season. It could also be a sloppy game for the Panthers’ offense, which ranks 289th in ball security (turnover percentage of 20.5 percent). They’ll be going up against the top-notch defense of the Mountaineers, which has forced the 22nd-most turnovers in the country (22.8 percent).
Pittsburgh vs. West Virginia Free Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – West Virginia, ATS Winner – West Virginia, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2017-Present):
- West Virginia ranks 43rd in rebounds per game (38.8) while Pittsburgh ranks 283rd (32.9).
- The Mountaineers average 15.3 assists per game, which ranks 61st in the country. The Panthers rank 234th in assists allowed per game (14.6).
- West Virginia ranks 65th in three pointers attempted per game (25.0) while Pittsburgh ranks 179th in three pointers allowed per game (22.7).
- The Mountaineers rank 29th in steals per game (7.8) while the Panthers rank 257th (4.6).
- West Virginia averages 5.2 blocks per game, which ranks 16th in the country. Pittsburgh ranks 223rd in blocks allowed per game (4.4).