The San Antonio Spurs (26-13) will attempt to lengthen a 12-game home winning streak when they go head-to-head against the Phoenix Suns (15-25) at AT&T Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 210.5 points with San Antonio opening as a 12.5-point favorite. Action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Phoenix Suns vs. San Antonio Spurs Betting Preview
The Suns lost big to the Denver Nuggets in their last game, 134-111. Phoenix’s Greg Monroe put up 16 points and 10 rebounds in the contest. Denver made 12 of their 27 three pointers (44.4 percent). Phoenix, meanwhile, forced the Nuggets into a turnover percentage of 17.9 (above their season average of 13.5).
In the Spurs last game, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Philadelphia 76ers, 112-106. With 24 points and 14 rebounds, San Antonio’s LaMarcus Aldridge had a good game. Philadelphia did a great job of making free throws (33-43; 76.7 percent). San Antonio, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.494 vs. 0.494).
San Antonio could have their way on the defensive side of the ball as they square off against one of the leagues worst offenses. The Spurs currently rank fifth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.505), while Phoenix is 29th in effective field goal percentage (0.495). It will also be a showdown of conflicting styles as the up-tempo Suns rank third in possessions per game, while the more methodical Spurs rank 29th.
Of Phoenix’s 40 games, 21 have finished over the O/U total, while 22 of San Antonio’s 39 games have finished under the projected point total. The Spurs have the better straight up (SU) record (26-13 vs. 15-25) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (20-17-2 vs. 19-19-2).
Marquese Chriss has really been playing well over the last five games for Phoenix, averaging 12.2 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game.
These two teams have already met twice this season, with the Spurs winning both. In the most recent contest, the Suns lost 104-101 but covered as 4.5-point underdogs. Mike James scored a game-high 25 points. The two teams combined for 205 points, hitting the projected point total. San Antonio out-rebounded Phoenix. The Spurs had 18 offensive rebounds and 52 total rebounds, while the Suns had 10 and 40, respectively.
Phoenix Suns vs. San Antonio Spurs ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Over
- The Spurs rank 11th in points allowed in the paint per game (42.4) while the Suns rank 29th (48.6).
- San Antonio ranks 13th in steals allowed per game (7.8) while Phoenix ranks 25th (8.7).
- San Antonio ranks 12th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.7) while Phoenix ranks 27th (18.8).
- San Antonio ranks fifth in three pointers allowed per game (26.1) while Phoenix ranks 11th (27.4).
- San Antonio is 13-5-1 ATS at home, while Phoenix is 11-7-1 ATS on the road.
- The Suns have 11 overs and 8 unders in 19 road games.
- Of the Spurs 19 home games, they have 11 overs and 8 unders.
- Phoenix is 5-2 when they allow under 100 points, while San Antonio is 17-6.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Suns are 11-16 and the Spurs are 19-2.
- The Spurs rank 14th in fast break points allowed per game (10.7) while the Suns rank 28th (13.9).
- San Antonio ranks second in blocks allowed per game (3.7) while Phoenix ranks 25th (5.4).
- The Spurs rank seventh in second chance points allowed per game (11.5) while the Suns rank 27th (14.0).
- The Spurs rank 21st in assists per game (21.8) while the Suns rank 29th (20.6).
- San Antonio ranks sixth in rebounds allowed per game (41.7) while Phoenix ranks 26th (45.2).
- San Antonio is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Spurs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.6, down from 3.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 107.0 points per game (1.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.6 points per game (1.1 below their season average).