Pacific Division foes will battle when the Sacramento Kings (12-22) take on the Phoenix Suns (13-23) at Golden 1 Center. Sacramento opened as a 1-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 209 points. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017, and it can be seen on NBC Sports – California.
Phoenix Suns vs. Sacramento Kings Odds Preview
The Suns barely escaped the Memphis Grizzlies in their last contest, 99-97. Devin Booker was the top scorer from either team with 32 points on 9-for-21 shooting. The Suns knocked down 27 of their 35 free throws (77.1 percent) and held the Grizzlies to an effective field goal percentage of 0.420 (below their season average of 0.499).
In the Kings last game, they beat the Cleveland Cavaliers, 109-95. Sacramento was lifted by Vince Carter, who was the top scorer from either team with 24 points on 10-for-12 shooting. Sacramento played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.595 (above their season average of 0.497) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.9 (below their season average of 21.5). Cleveland was 0.514 and 17.5, respectively, for those same stats.
Opposite styles will be on display in this showdown. Phoenix prefers to play quickly (third in possessions per game), while Sacramento likes to grind-it-out (28th in possessions per game).
Of Phoenix’s 36 games, 18 have finished over the projected point total, while 17 of Sacramento’s 34 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have mediocre straight up (SU) records (13-23 for Phoenix; 12-22 for Sacramento), but the Suns have the edge against the spread (ATS). Phoenix is 18-17-1 ATS, while the Kings are 15-16-3.
These two teams have met twice already this year, each winning once. In the most recent game, Zach Randolph had 17 points, seven rebounds and five assists and the Kings beat the Suns 99-92, covering as 4.5-point favorites. The two teams combined to put up 191 points, which was 19.5 points below the projected point total of 210.5 points. The Kings dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.180 and a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 8.4. For those same stats, the Suns put up marks of 0.122 and 11.1, respectively.
Phoenix Suns vs. Sacramento Kings ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Under
- The Kings rank 11th in points allowed in the paint per game (42.4) while the Suns rank 29th (48.9).
- Sacramento ranks 17th in second chance points allowed per game (12.3) while Phoenix ranks 29th (14.1).
- Sacramento ranks 11th in steals per game (8.1) while Phoenix ranks 28th (6.6).
- Sacramento ranks 24th in assists per game (20.7) while Phoenix ranks 28th (20.3).
- On the road, Phoenix is 10-6-1 ATS with 9 overs and 8 unders.
- At home, Sacramento is 8-6 ATS with 8 unders and 6 overs.
- When allowing below 100 points, Sacramento is 7-2 and Phoenix is 5-2.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Kings are 8-4 and the Suns are 9-14.
- The Suns rank 12th in three pointers allowed per game (27.6) while the Kings rank 26th (31.3).
- Phoenix ranks fourth in rebounds per game (45.6) while Sacramento ranks 27th (39.9).
- The Kings rank sixth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.9) while the Suns rank 27th (18.8).
- The Kings rank 17th in fast break points allowed per game (11.1) while the Suns rank 28th (13.7).
- Sacramento ranks eighth in blocks allowed per game (4.5) while Phoenix ranks 26th (5.4).
- Sacramento is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Kings average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.2, down from 8.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 98.8 points per game (6.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 101.2 points per game (11.2 below their season average).