The New Orleans Pelicans (33-26) and Phoenix Suns (18-43) go head-to-head at Smoothie King Center. The Pelicans have won five consecutive games, while the Suns have lost their last nine games. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, February 26, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
Phoenix Suns vs. New Orleans Pelicans Free Preview
The Suns lost a tough one against the Portland Trail Blazers in their last matchup, 106-104. With 30 points on 11-for-28 shooting, Devin Booker was Phoenix’s leading scorer. Portland had a turnover percentage of 5.1 (better than their season average of 12.3). Phoenix, on the other hand, made 11 of their 26 three pointers (42.3 percent).
In the Pelicans’ last game, they beat the Milwaukee Bucks, 123-121. New Orleans rallied around Jrue Holiday, who was the game’s leading scorer with 36 points on 16-for-31 shooting. The Pelicans had an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.9 (above their season average of 19.9) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.523 vs. 0.490).
There should be plenty of transition offense in this contest that features a pair of the league’s more fast-breaking teams. New Orleans currently ranks second in possessions per game (103.4) and Phoenix is third (101.9).
Of Phoenix’s 61 games, 31 have finished under the O/U total, while 35 of New Orleans’ 58 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Pelicans have a sizable advantage. They are 33-26 SU and 30-28 ATS, while the Suns are 18-43 SU and 28-31-2 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Suns, it’s been Elfrid Payton, who has averaged 16.2 points, 8.0 assists and 6.2 rebounds, while the Pelicans have received solid contributions from Anthony Davis (36.6 points, 13.4 rebounds, 3.2 steals and 2.4 blocks).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 206 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 225.5. The Pelicans won 115-91, covering as 6.5-point favorites. The Pelicans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.544 and a free throw rate of 0.176. The Suns recorded marks of 0.404 and 0.160, respectively, for those same stats. DeMarcus Cousins put up a double-double in the victory with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
Phoenix Suns vs. New Orleans Pelicans Odds Prediction
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Over
- The Suns average 14.2 fast break points per game, which ranks fifth in the league. The Pelicans rank 28th in fast break points allowed per game (14.3).
- New Orleans ranks 13th in steals per game (7.8) while Phoenix ranks 28th (6.7).
- Phoenix averages 13.4 second chance points per game, which ranks seventh in the league. New Orleans ranks 27th in second chance points allowed per game (13.7).
- New Orleans averages 16.5 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 15th in the league. Phoenix ranks 26th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.7).
- New Orleans is 12-16 ATS at home, while Phoenix is 16-12-1 ATS on the road.
- The Suns have 15 unders and 14 overs in 29 road games.
- Of the Pelicans’ 28 home games, they have 21 overs and 7 unders.
- When allowing below 100 points, Phoenix is 6-2 and New Orleans is 8-1.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Pelicans are 31-18 and the Suns are 14-25.
- The Suns rank 10th in three pointers allowed per game (28.4) while the Pelicans rank 26th (31.1).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (26.3) while Phoenix ranks 29th (21.0).
- The Pelicans rank third in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while the Suns rank 28th (5.6).
- The Pelicans average 43.8 rebounds per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. The Suns rank 28th in rebounds allowed per game (45.5).
- New Orleans averages 50.9 points in the paint per game, which ranks second in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 27th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.4).
- New Orleans is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pelicans’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.0, up from 0.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 102.8 points per game (1.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 118.6 points per game (5.6 above their season average).