The Memphis Grizzlies (17-31) will be at home in FedExForum when they go head-to-head against the Phoenix Suns (17-33). Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, January 29, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Phoenix Suns at Memphis Grizzlies Free Preview
The Suns were beaten by the Houston Rockets in their last contest, 113-102. Phoenix’s Devin Booker had a good performance, leading both teams in scoring with 31 points on 12-for-23 shooting. Houston did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (38-49; 77.6 percent). Phoenix, meanwhile, held the Rockets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.2 (below their season average of 22.2).
The last time the Grizzlies played, they were defeated by the Los Angeles Clippers, 109-100. With 13 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists, Marc Gasol led the way for Memphis with his zeroth triple-double of the year. Los Angeles had a turnover percentage of 9.7 (better than their season average of 13.3). Memphis, meanwhile, held the Clippers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.9 (below their season average of 23.4).
The aggressive Memphis offense might be getting to the free throw line a lot in this battle. The Grizzlies currently rank eighth in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.219, while Phoenix ranks 27th in FTA rate allowed (0.220). It will also be a tale of two styles as the fast-paced Suns rank fourth in possessions per game, while the more methodical Grizzlies rank 30th.
Of Phoenix’s 49 games with betting action, 25 have finished under the projected point total, while 28 of Memphis 48 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have disastrous straight up (SU) records (17-33 for Phoenix; 17-31 for Memphis), but the Suns hold a slight advantage against the spread (ATS). Phoenix is 23-24-2 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 20-26-2.
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Suns winning both. Booker scored a game-high 32 points in the most recent contest, in which the Suns, who were 1.5-point underdogs, beat the Grizzlies 99-97. He also put up six assists and five rebounds. The two teams combined to score 196 points, which was 8 points below the projected point total of 204 points. One of Phoenix’s biggest advantages was getting to the free throw line. They made 35 trips to the line, while Memphis went 29 times.
Phoenix Suns at Memphis Grizzlies Betting Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Grizzlies average 5.2 blocks per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. The Suns rank 24th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Phoenix ranks 24th in assists per game (21.0) while Memphis ranks 27th (20.9).
- Memphis ranks ninth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.4) while Phoenix ranks 27th (18.9).
- Phoenix is 14-9-1 ATS on the road with 13 overs and 11 unders.
- At home, Memphis is 11-15-1 ATS with 18 unders and 9 overs.
- Phoenix is 5-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Memphis is 11-9.
- The Grizzlies are 12-11 when they reach 100 points, while the Suns are 13-20.
- The Suns rank 11th in rebounds per game (44.3) while the Grizzlies rank 28th (40.4).
- Memphis ranks second in points allowed in the paint per game (40.6) while Phoenix ranks 27th (47.4).
- The Grizzlies average 13.6 fast break points per game, which ranks seventh in the league. The Suns rank last in fast break points allowed per game (14.6).
- The Suns rank ninth in second chance points per game (13.3) while the Grizzlies rank 10th in second chance points allowed per game (11.5).
- Memphis ranks fifth in steals allowed per game (7.0) while Phoenix ranks 27th (8.8).
- Memphis is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Grizzlies average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.4, up from 3.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 100.2 points per game (4.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.0 points per game (3.1 below their season average).