The Los Angeles Lakers (21-31) welcome the Phoenix Suns (18-36) to Staples Center as they try to lengthen their six-game home winning streak. Tip-off is scheduled for 10:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Phoenix Suns at Los Angeles Lakers Free Preview
The last time the Suns played, they were beaten by the Charlotte Hornets, 115-110. Devin Booker put together a solid performance for Phoenix, finishing with 18 points, nine assists and five rebounds. Charlotte held the Suns to an offensive rebounding percentage of 6.3 (below their season average of 23.8). Phoenix, meanwhile, was lights out from beyond the arc (15-29; 51.7 percent).
The Lakers come in on a high note after beating the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last matchup, 108-104. Josh Hart played a key role for Los Angeles with 14 points and 11 rebounds. Los Angeles made 13 of their 30 three pointers (43.3 percent), while Oklahoma City was 7-25 (28.0 percent).
There should be a fair amount of transition offense in this showdown that features two of the NBA’s more fast-paced teams. Los Angeles currently ranks first in possessions per game (104.0) and Phoenix is third (101.7).
Of Phoenix’s 54 games, 27 have finished under the projected point total, while 27 of Los Angeles 52 games have finished over the O/U total. The Lakers have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (21-31 vs. 18-36) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (27-25 vs. 26-26-2).
Julius Randle has been playing at a high level recently for Los Angeles, averaging 16.8 points and 10.2 rebounds over the last five games.
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Lakers leading the series two games to one. Alex Len put up 17 points and 18 rebounds in the most recent game, in which the Suns, who were 7.5-point underdogs, defeated the Lakers 122-113. The two teams combined to put up 235 points, which was 6.5 points above the projected point total of 228.5 points. Phoenix had a much better turnover percentage (10.5 vs. 15.8). Los Angeles, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.176 vs. 0.126).
Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Lakers ATS Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Over
- The Suns rank ninth in second chance points per game (13.3) while the Lakers rank last in second chance points allowed per game (13.9).
- Los Angeles ranks 13th in blocks per game (4.8) while Phoenix ranks 27th in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- Los Angeles ranks eighth in steals per game (8.3) while Phoenix ranks 27th (6.8).
- Phoenix averages 27.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 19th in the league. Los Angeles ranks 21st in three pointers allowed per game (30.1).
- Los Angeles is 14-12 ATS at home, while Phoenix is 15-10-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 14 of the Suns 26 road games, while 15 of the Lakers 26 home games have gone over.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Los Angeles is 9-3 and Phoenix is 6-2.
- The Lakers are 18-18 when they reach 100 points, while the Suns are 14-22.
- The Lakers rank eighth in assists per game (23.4) while the Suns rank 26th (21.1).
- Los Angeles averages 17.0 fast break points per game, which ranks second in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 29th in fast break points allowed per game (14.4).
- The Lakers average 53.2 points in the paint per game, which ranks first in the NBA. The Suns rank 25th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.2).
- The Lakers rank 14th in points off turnovers per game (16.7) while the Suns rank 26th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.0).
- Los Angeles ranks second in rebounds per game (46.3) while Phoenix ranks 25th in rebounds allowed per game (44.8).
- Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Lakers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.4, up from 3.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 104.0 points per game (0.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 113.0 points per game (0.8 above their season average).